Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Recover Unsaved After Effects Project

Jul 28, 2016 Jul 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, last week, I've made an After Effects project, but I had forgotten to save it. Its not rendered yet so I couldn't get onto that project. I've spent nearly 3 hours working on it last week and now its all gone! I want to ask if there is a way to recover an unsaved After Effects CC project because i really need it.

Thank you for the help really.

btw Im using windows 8 and After Effects CC

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 28, 2016 Jul 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

3 hours? count your blessings my friend! my sympathy goes for you buddy but if you did not save it, and if there isn't an auto-save folder in the project folder:

then there's nothing really to recover, right?

BTW you have to actually save the project for the first time for this folder to appear, and it has to be checked on in the preferences

make it a habit to first save when you start making a project, and work with auto save (easy for me to say - 12 years with the software and still sometimes I only remember to save it for the first time only after an hour or so)

if it's lost - take that as a lesson that you really really really did not pay so much to learn make it better than the first version I say!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 26, 2018 Sep 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

me also facing same problem frd...but i have saved my project after that only it crashed and file deleted....i tried data recovery software and its showing the deleted file....i can recover that

Note: i am note deleted the file its automatically deleted

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 09, 2021 Mar 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thats my promblem right now i saved my edit and ae kicked me out but now all my projects are gone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 09, 2021 Mar 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If all your projects are gone then you are not using the proper file structure. The sample projects that come with After Effects are saved in a fairly well-hidden library folder. Sometimes a crash will delete that folder and a fresh install or an upgrade will override it. A lot of users just start saving projects in this hidden system folder. That is a big mistake.

Make sure the first thing you do when you start a new project is to save the project in a folder you have set up for that project. I have a main folder called Projects and inside that is a separate folder for every project organized by date, client, project, and version. I can find a project I worked on 9 years ago for Client A in about 10 seconds because I have a plan. Make sure auto-save is on, and then start working. Work more than the autosave time and your project can be recovered. It can always be recovered if you use proper file management. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2021 May 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If all your projects are gone then you are not using the proper file structure. The sample projects that come with After Effects are saved in a fairly well-hidden library folder. Sometimes a crash will delete that folder and a fresh install or an upgrade will override it. A lot of users just start saving projects in this hidden system folder. That is a big mistake.

Make sure the first thing you do when you start a new project is to save the project in a folder you have set up for that project. I have a main folder called Projects and inside that is a separate folder for every project organized by date, client, project, and version. I can find a project I worked on 9 years ago for Client A in about 10 seconds because I have a plan. Make sure auto-save is on, and then start working. Work more than the autosave time and your project can be recovered. It can always be recovered if you use proper file management. 

By @Rick Gerard

I am also having a similar problem I keep trying to save an AE project I worked on for 10 hours but when I try to save it says After effects warning error with the file. And auto-save stopped saving my work so I don't want to quit AE and have all my work deleted is there another way to save or a solution not involving quitting AE? 

An answer would really help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 08, 2021 May 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe you are saving in a location that you don't have the rights to access it, try to save it to another folder or drive, be sure you have the rights to save to that new location

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2021 May 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks this is helpful information but I found out it was a problem to do with my storage.

Thanks 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2021 Aug 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same it took me 8 hours of editing and after effects crashed and the file isnt in after effects auto save folder

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2023 Mar 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Most software will automatically save it as untitled project. why cant after effect be the same . adobe need to sit up ..  a similar thing happen to me. I have started using Davnci resolve trust me guyz it rocks 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines