Red Giant Particular - Major basic problem

Explorer ,
May 05, 2021 May 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

All I do is:
- Set gravity to 1000
- Make a 3D ground layer and set bounce on that layer.

All the particles slides infinitely outwards when they hit the ground.

This didn't happen in the last big version og Particular.

Please help. See video.

*** Rig: Win10 Pro. 64 RAM. RTX 2080 Ti. Intel i9 9900k. 4K monitor. Lastest updates. Lastest drivers. ***
TOPICS
Error or problem , How to , Preview

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

He is a video of the problem

*** Rig: Win10 Pro. 64 RAM. RTX 2080 Ti. Intel i9 9900k. 4K monitor. Lastest updates. Lastest drivers. ***

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG how do u edit your posts? 😛 Accidently captured the video in 1280x720 - so its hard to see whats going on. Sorry!

Just scroll to the end and se the issue. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gravity force of 1000 is very high, if you want your particles to bounce try something between 50 -100

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know but i still fails at lower gravity settings. And the old Particular could easily bounce with high gravity settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The slowness of the preview suggests that you may be using advanced options or a fluid/ air simulation type. You may need to check the editor and tweak the physics.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But thats the thing  - i havcen't touched anything. I just set gravitty and bounce. Itn't that odd?

I will try to uninstall and reinstall...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried the old version (15) - and in the bounce setting I could turn slide to 0 - and the sliding stopped. Great! 

Then tried installing the new version (16) again - failed. The "slide fristion 1" option under bounce is greyed out and is set to 80 by default. 

So it is turned on - but in the new version i can't turn it of. Why??? 🙂

Untitled-1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like it's a restriction in the new version, you can either select Bounce or Slide in the collision event:
particular.png

Tried to add the same layer or a duplicated layer in "Bounce 2" while setting "Bounce 1" to bounce and "Bounce 2" to slide. I was trying to control the bounciness using a layer and the slide using another but that didn't work. As I said, it looks like a restriction in this version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If its a bug its been there ever since the new version came - and it seems you have it too. That's kind of incredible - because then every kind of particles using a floor is bugged to an extend where it is completely useless. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will have to ask Red Giant about the matter. Could be a simple oversight on their part, given that the engine seems to be in a constant state of flux lately and things change from version to version.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this bug for a long time now - ever since the new version (16) came out - and it seems other people have it too,. If thats true. That's kind of incredible - because then every kind of particles using a floor is bugged to an extend where it is completely useless. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 01, 2021 Jun 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"A simple oversight on their part". Its a game changer and a deal breaker. Everything involving a floor is useless in the current state and old projects migrated to the new will break 100%. They have broken Particular. 😞

And the engine is not in constant state of flux - because it has been like this ever since they relreased it a long time ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And one last thing - Red Giant have not responded to my ticket - and its been like 2 months. Nothing. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm surprised by that, Red Giant have responded to me quite quickly.  The After Effects Reddit forum has active Red Ginat employees, you could try there, but I suspect ali_jaber is correct that this is a code change.

this page lists the updates, but the change log links didn't work for me: https://www.redgiant.com/support/installers/updates/trapcode-particular/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I will try there 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 09, 2021 Jul 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None of the updates have floor that works...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2021 Aug 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there!

It sounds like we are talking about two different issues here. First, the issue with the particles sliding off the plane as if it is infinite is because the behavior defaults to "Infinite Plane". So, it's treated as if it goes forever in all directions, even though it doesn't. I've never been a fan of this been the default setting, but that is how it is and how it's been as long as I can remember.

Now, I'll have to dig up an old version of Particular, as I cannot remember bounce and friction working together in previous versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, looking at your setup (which I think support shared with me) what you are looking for is Air Resistance. 

HarryFrank_0-1629332616551.png

Particular now has per particle physics, so each particle has its own mass and air resistance. I agree that some sort of floor friction would probably make sense here, in the bounce section. But, thinking like an engineer, I could see the idea that this is really a duplicate of what air resistance is doing over time. I'll make sure this all gets in front of the PM to evaluate the UX on how this is presented, as I agree it could use some refining.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And Harry,

Are you part of the Red Giant team?? 😄 

I don't see the logic in a particle never stopping. And if you saying that all particles now are governed by air - then how do you make the particles stop? 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 19, 2021 Aug 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I can see Harry's point.  The floor is a deflector/object and by having a separate resistance to the air means you could be in a situation where you are pouring particles into "water" and then they react differently when they hit the bottom to how they do when in the medium.  

But I also see your point about why change it.  I know there's a lot of cool dynamics simulation stuff in the later versions [sob, I only have v4], so it floor resistance was probably removed to avoid physics conflicts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Harry 🙂
Setting the plane to "infinite" only affects the area of the "floor" - not the actual movement/slide of the particles. I am very pretty of this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines