• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Render out of AE CC no h.264 option render queue

Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2013 Jun 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In cs6 you could directly render out of AE to h.264 via render queue.

Now there is no option in the dropdown, only avi, jpg sequence. dpx  etc. is this intentional to have to use AME to render out?

thanks

Oli

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jun 19, 2013 Jun 19, 2013

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jun 26, 2013 Jun 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

high speed multithread rendering only works with a small set of plug-ins and codecs. Throw in any unsupported feature and enabling this feature will kill your render speeds.

I find it much more efficient to have MP turned off, add my completed comps to the AME, and continue working on more projects in AE or PPro or whatever while the renders are happening. I don't charge for rendering unless the project needs to be sent to a render farm or is so big that it's going to tie up my systems and cause me to loose billable time on other projects. Completely tying up machine resources to render is a huge waste of my time. In the long run you should find that using the AME and continuing to work on other projects is a lot more efficient.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2015 Apr 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to re-enable.

The link says "If you need to be able to export these formats directly from After Effects, you can re-enable them by setting the preference Show Deprecated Formats In Output Module Settings in the Output preferences category."

I can't find where this option is!

Please help. I don't like using. Adobe Media Encoder.

Thankyou!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 20, 2015 Apr 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

olliew wrote:

I'm trying to re-enable.

The link says "If you need to be able to export these formats directly from After Effects, you can re-enable them by setting the preference Show Deprecated Formats In Output Module Settings in the Output preferences category."

I can't find where this option is!

Please help. I don't like using. Adobe Media Encoder.

Unless I'm forgetting, that feature was only available in version 12 of AE and not in version 13. CC 2014 (which I assume you're using) is version 13 of AE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2014 Feb 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As there was no direct answer and only people sending you to other links here it is:
just go to Edit -> Preferences -> output -> enable Show Deprecated Formats.

I hate to go trough AME too.. those who say after effects is not good to export h.264 are not worthy of even using AE in my opinion.. it always exported nice and faster than media encoder for me.

cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RottingAlien wrote:

Those who say after effects is not good to export h.264 are not worthy of even using AE in my opinion.

Even though one of those people (Todd Kopriva) is an Adobe employee whose entire job is working on After Effects?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yep, even him

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 13, 2018 Jun 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The sad part is:

Adobe Engineer:

Hrs Coding AE to make it better = 129867418hrs

Hrs Rendering Pre/Post Production Media = 000Hrs

Artist/Editors/Directors:

Hrs Coding Program = 000Hrs

Hrs Rendering/Creating Pre/Post Media = 12879391827018723987HRs

This gap need to be bridged.

As an artist, we all have our own unique workflow, and limiting the option to create that flow is just troublesome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 13, 2018 Jun 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This should be the TOP ANSWER

instead of that stupid link

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 20, 2014 May 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok... so no h264 in AE anymore.. but I am a cloud user and I don't see Adobe Media Encoder available for download and install. Do I not have the option to get this program through creative cloud?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It should be already on your system if you have Premiere and After Effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AME is installed with After Effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 23, 2015 Apr 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would recommend avoiding the QuickTime container for H.264. Just use the H.264 format in Adobe Media Encoder (it creates an MP4); it even has presets for YouTube.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 04, 2016 Jan 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problems:

[I'm just about to move to CC from 5.5]

1.No clear history visible with dates etc and files rendered.

For example, seeing reduction in render times as you optimize a scene.

2.No easy CTRL +d to duplicate a render.

3.Having to use 2 apps to render different formats = more time

4.Any scripting shortcuts are null and void. I used to have an email mp4 auto add to a render

as a script. It also disrupts my workflow with background rendering with background renderer (Alvarez)

and scripting with Autodesk Backburner.

5.It's an annoyance as it forces me to use another app unecessarily. I

would have loved the buggy code until it was replaced on your roadmap.

6.All my templates have to be re-setup again to suit AME.

Thanks

Alan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With that litany of perceived issues, I don't know if I'd move from 5.5 to CC if I were you.  Unless you have no other choice, that is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand that changing your workflow can be annoying. However, I think I can help allay some of your annoyance.

1. If you do what I do (render an intermediate file out of AE), you still have all of these features. You can even set up a watch folder in AME, so that your intermediate AE renders immediately get converted to MP4's in the background.

2. There is in the CC version of AME.

3. This can actually equal less time. If the Adobe Media Encoder is rendering something, you can keep working in After Effects while it renders. This means you don't have to wait around for renders to move on to the next thing.

4. Again, if you're rendering intermediate files, this isn't an issue.

5. I always used the Media Encoder to make my h.264's even before we were forced to by the removal. Maybe it's because I'm super-picky, but I always pushed for the highest quality I could have. I wanted to be able to use multi-pass encoding in my h.264's and After Effects couldn't do that. Thus I didn't consider using AME unnecessary.

6. This isn't a bad thing; AME lets you use multi-pass encoding, so you're going to want to make new templates anyway. Better-looking files at smaller file sizes; huzzah!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 05, 2016 Jan 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, I appreciate your opinion.

1. If you do an uncompressed render in AE and then another background render in AME it is still elongating the render time and using resources and cores on your machine, which has to be more obtrusive than a clean render (even if it's not amazingly optimized code) in h264 format, if that was the only thing required.

Also there is file overhead and management of x2 files for everything you are doing.

2.Yes there will be a ctrl+d in AME but it does not address any changes in your comp? It will use the temp AE file that was sent to AME at that point in time. So Ctrl +d in AE will dup all the render settings , file name etc but will render the LIVE version of the comp. Anybody who works full time in AE will know how many times you need to re-render due to mistakes!

3.Agreed, but this should be optional! so all my formats remain accessible in AE, then if required send in background in AME.

5+6. Not picky, need to get the job done like millions of people - if it's a personal preference, if it's over 90pc then and a quick solution, Ill do it! I was content with AE h264, and when I needed really good quality I just whacked up the bitrate.

In terms of filing feature requests etc - I simply don't have time. I think some stuff is obvious especially core workflow stuff. The AE team really know what they are doing, I wouldn't swap the software for anything. When I install CC I will have to spend a week sorting scripts and changing workflow for this which will eat into my time, but you can't please everyone!

Thanks a lot

Alan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alan_AEDScripts wrote:

The AE team really know what they are doing, I wouldn't swap the software for anything. When I install CC I will have to spend a week sorting scripts and changing workflow for this which will eat into my time, but you can't please everyone!

Speaking of the AE team and what they're doing...

As you jump into CC, please be aware that After Effects version CC 2015 marks a huge change in the underlying code for After Effects. (There's no more RAM preview, for one thing.) The AE team is preparing AE to be a truly multithreaded application. However, it's not there yet. For many folks, such as myself, the new version works great and I love it! I especially like the new expression error handling and how much snappier everything is. For some folks, on the other hand, the new architecture is causing some issues. So, if you have too many problems with CC 2015, remember that CC gives you access to all versions of the software from CS6 onward, so try CC 2014.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌in consideration to exporting and uploading videos to YouTube, which is the best efficient format to use, Taken in account h.264 is unavailable in AE? when I used the fixed settings on AE, it relatively takes up a lot of time to upload (2, 3 hours). Please help.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

andreic22102592 wrote:

in consideration to exporting and uploading videos to YouTube, which is the best efficient format to use, Taken in account h.264 is unavailable in AE? when I used the fixed settings on AE, it relatively takes up a lot of time to upload (2, 3 hours). Please help.

Thanks

Either send your AE composition to the Adobe Media Encoder to render an H.264 file or render an intermediate file from AE's render queue and then load that file into the Adobe Media Encoder to make an H.264. The Adobe Media Encoder even has YouTube presets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2016 Jan 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌ok thank you. however now that I have used the h.264 format, there are background effects that I have used which does not show up on my video when I upload to YT.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 07, 2016 Jan 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

andreic22102592 wrote:

ok thank you. however now that I have used the h.264 format, there are background effects that I have used which does not show up on my video when I upload to YT.

That is likely to be an unrelated issue. What happens if you render to an intermediate codec with AE's render queue? Could we see a screenshot of your whole interface with the layers that aren't showing up visible on the timeline?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 06, 2016 Jan 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you google recommended settings for YT you will get specs that will be optimal. So whatever software you use to convert you need to match those specs rather than uploading uncompressed media. Youtube will be converting that file on the fly which is why it's probably taking hours.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 13, 2016 Sep 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ofc it is intentional this way you force more people to buy or pay for access to AME. before we could just use AE to handle it all and it was working perfectly fine, now Adobe is gutting the app to force it's users to pay more for more applications.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 13, 2016 Sep 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Media Encoder CC is included with After Effects CC. Regardless of whether you choose to subscribe to just After Effects or if you choose the all apps subscription, Adobe Media Encoder is available to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines