• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

renderAsync() in AE SDK 2017.1 not working?

Explorer ,
Jun 09, 2017 Jun 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm working on an After Effects plugin using SDK 2017.1 (14.2). The code currently renders using the blocking call AEGP_SetRenderQueueState(AEGP_RenderQueueState_RENDERING). I replace that with the async script call but rendering doesn't start.

I use AEGP_ExecuteScript() to run

app.project.renderQueue.renderAsync();

And then loop waiting for the render state to change to stopped. The script runs, ExecuteScript returns, and my loop starts. Problem is, the loop runs indefinitely and I can see in the After Effects UI that rendering has not started.

What else do I need to do to get renderAsync() to make rendering start? Or is it currently broken? I saw in another post Re: How to Render in AEGP with AE 2015??!! that renderAsync() was blocking in AE 2015.

Thanks!

TOPICS
SDK

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jun 15, 2017 Jun 15, 2017

Posting a short reply to summarize solution...

renderAsync() does work in AE SDK 2017.1. And if you use a loop to wait for rendering to complete, it's also necessary to call PF_AppProgressDialogUpdate to update the UI and so that AEGP_GetRenderQueueState can return 'stopped' when done.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 15, 2017 Jun 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting, I don't see any reason why that shouldn't work.  Could you email me a drop of your plug-in for the team to investigate further?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Zac,

While preparing a build for you that calls renderAsync(), I noticed the behavior was not what I thought initially.

"app.project.renderQueue.renderAsync()" actually does start the rendering. (My mistake!) The After Effects UI is frozen so I can't see it (plugins run in the UI thread?), but the render engine runs and creates the output file. Problem is the value from AEGP_GetRenderQueueState continues to say 'rendering' even after it's done, so my wait loop never exits. After some experimenting, I found a fix for that too: calling PF_AppProgressDialogUpdate inside my wait loop allows the After Effects UI to update and then the value from AEGP_GetRenderQueueState returns to 'stopped'.

Unfortunately, the callbacks I set with AEGP_RegisterListener aren't called, even during the async render.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Posting a short reply to summarize solution...

renderAsync() does work in AE SDK 2017.1. And if you use a loop to wait for rendering to complete, it's also necessary to call PF_AppProgressDialogUpdate to update the UI and so that AEGP_GetRenderQueueState can return 'stopped' when done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines