• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Replace files in composition without affecting other compositions.

New Here ,
Jun 17, 2019 Jun 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't seem to figure this one out. I have 8 animations, each using the same element duplicated and animated ~25 times in each composition. I made the first composition and animated all of the elements. Rather than manually doing that again for each composition, how can I replace the footage inside a duplicated composition without affecting the other compositions? Is this even possible?

Here is a screenshot. Note that I want to replace "Artwork 1" with a different file when I duplicate the composition.

Screen Shot 2019-06-17 at 5.24.46 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Jun 17, 2019 Jun 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to duplicate CTRL+D  the composition in the project panel to create a true duplicate.  You can then replace the files in the duplicate.

If you duplicate in the layers panel you're only creating an instance of a single comp so any changes you make to the comp will be present in all instances.

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 18, 2019 Jun 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1 - Duplicate your finished comp. (Ctrl/Cmd-D)

2 - Import your new artwork element - "Artwork 2", for example.

3 - In the new duplicate comp, select all "Artwork 1" layers.

4 - Hold down the Alt/Option key and drag "Artwork 2" onto any of the selected layers in the comp.  They should now all change to "Artwork 2".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 18, 2019 Jun 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The key is this:  you can't duplicate a nested comp in another comp.  It's a duplicate.  Exact same thing.

BUT.....

If you duplicate the comp in the project pane, you create an entirely new, INDEPENDENT comp.  Any changes to it only show up in it, and not in any other duplicated comps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines