• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Retrieve current frame as float data within UserChangedParam()

Community Beginner ,
Sep 11, 2021 Sep 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Community,

I posted almost the same question in the Premiere Pro discussions and after no activity there, I thought I should post it here as this might be a better place for questions concerning the AE Plugin SDK.

I'm creating a video effect for Premiere Pro using the AE Plugin SDK and I'd like to analyse the current frame when the user pushes a button and then set some parameters based on the analysis.

Firstly, I managed to retrieve the current frame using PF_CHECKOUT_PARAM from within UserChangedParam() and set other parameters from the analysis however the returned layer is formatted as PrPixelFormat_ARGB_4444_8u and I need higher precision than 8-bit for the type of analysis being done, simply converting to float won't do it as I'm working from 10-to-16 bit log and linear footage.

Secondly, when I add the effect to an adjustment layer which does not begin at start of the timeline, the returned frame is not the frame under the cursor, since inData->current_time is apparently the current time relative to the beginning of the adjustment layer but param.u.ld holds data to the frame at inData->current_time relative to the beginning of the timeline.

I'm setting the following flags in GlobalSetup():

out_data->out_flags = PF_OutFlag_DEEP_COLOR_AWARE | PF_OutFlag_KEEP_RESOURCE_OPEN | PF_OutFlag_WIDE_TIME_INPUT;
    out_data->out_flags2 = PF_OutFlag2_FLOAT_COLOR_AWARE | PF_OutFlag2_SUPPORTS_THREADED_RENDERING;

if (in_data->appl_id == 'PrMr') {
        auto pixelFormatSuite = AEFX_SuiteScoper<PF_PixelFormatSuite1>(in_data, kPFPixelFormatSuite, kPFPixelFormatSuiteVersion1, out_data);

(*pixelFormatSuite->ClearSupportedPixelFormats)(in_data->effect_ref);
        (*pixelFormatSuite->AddSupportedPixelFormat)(in_data->effect_ref, PrPixelFormat_BGRA_4444_32f);
    }

And this is a code snippet from UserChangedParam():

PF_ParamDef param;
    auto err = PF_CHECKOUT_PARAM(inData, ParamIndex::kInput, inData->current_time, inData->time_step, inData->time_scale, &param);
    auto layer = &param.u.ld;
    AEFX_SuiteScoper<PF_PixelFormatSuite1> pixelFormatSuite(inData, kPFPixelFormatSuite, kPFPixelFormatSuiteVersion1, outData);
    PrPixelFormat format = PrPixelFormat_Invalid;
    pixelFormatSuite->GetPixelFormat(layer, &format);
    if (format == PrPixelFormat_ARGB_4444_8u) {
        cv::Mat src(layer->height, layer->width, CV_8UC4, layer->data, layer->rowbytes);
    }
    PF_CHECKIN_PARAM(inData, &param);

Any hints as to how to obtain the current frame with float precision on a button press or how to deal with the time offset of the adjustment layer would be appreciated!

TOPICS
SDK

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 12, 2021 Sep 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

take a look at AEGP_RenderAndCheckoutFrame from AEGP_RenderSuite. it allows you to fetch any project item at any render settings.

obtain your effect's layer using AEGP_GetEffectLayer and then the layer item using AEGP_GetLayerSourceItem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 13, 2021 Sep 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to respond directly but it would not post, please see my response below. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These "post flooding errors" are quite annoying, I can't seem to just reply to posts... I just read in the SDK docs that "No AEGP calls are supported by Premiere Pro."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For get a 32-bit frame, I've tried calling EffectWantsCheckedOutFramesToMatchRenderPixelFormat() in PF_Cmd_GLOBAL_SETUP but it's not made any difference, I'm still getting an 8-bit frame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the adjustment layer issue, I might see if I can deal with the time offset using callbacks from PF_UtilitySuite.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the quick response!

I tried the approach you mentioned but I got stopped quite early on:
*AEGP_RegisterWithAEGP(NULL,
, &id)* is not working for me from Premiere which I seem to
need for the render options to *AEGP_RenderAndCheckoutFrame()*. I also
tried just *AEGP_GetEffectLayer(inData->effect_ref, &layer)* from
*userChangedParam()* and that returns error 515 (not sure what that means).

I would love to use the AEGP callbacks in my effect, they seem very
powerful!

Have you had any luck making these calls from within Premiere Pro before?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you can skip AEGP_RegisterWithAEGP entirely. just pass a NULL to whatever function is asking for the id.

alas, i think none of the AEGP suites work in premiere...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you are right, I just read in the SDK docs that "No AEGP calls are supported by Premiere Pro" so I'll need to find another way. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 02, 2021 Oct 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In the sdk example you will find one that gives ARGB 8-bit and 16-bit frame for PPro.. Use it with appropriate comp settings to get 16-bit data.

I don't think PPro offer float data using AE SDK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines