Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RGB + alpha not working

Community Beginner ,
Dec 09, 2019 Dec 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm having this problem where when I try rendering my animation I keep having background color and I tried googling and youtube tutorials on how to make it transparent but whenever I render my composition (which ofcourse doesn't have solid background and when transparent grid is active I see transparency) I still get background color. I set my render options to QuickTime and color to RGB+Alpha and still get background everytime. Help me please I'm desperate

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 09, 2019 Dec 09, 2019

Media players will not show you a transparent background. All media players have a default black background and do not show what is behind the media player. 

The only real way to check a file rendered with Alpha is to import it into a program that supports alpha channels like AE or Premiere Pro and check the alpha channel. if the background is solid white when you check the alpha, and the file info does not say that the file is RGBA, then there is something wrong with your render settings and/

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Media players will not show you a transparent background. All media players have a default black background and do not show what is behind the media player. 

The only real way to check a file rendered with Alpha is to import it into a program that supports alpha channels like AE or Premiere Pro and check the alpha channel. if the background is solid white when you check the alpha, and the file info does not say that the file is RGBA, then there is something wrong with your render settings and/or choice of codec. 

There's more than a 90% chance that this is nothing but user error. We need a lot more details to find out. The easiest thing to do is import the file into AE, check the info panel when the footage is selected for an alpha channel. if it does not show up then we need to know the codec and the render setting details.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The info panel has

R:

G:

B:

A: 0

as details...

I'm not an expert but it tells me it's probably rendered well and that vlc is not supporting alpha giving me the impresion of non transparent video, rather then not supported format ...

And sadly slider revolution also.. found some article similar to mine.. about slider revolution and alpha saying  this is a solution :

You could add to the html5 video layer the opacity (tested in google chrome, and seems to working well) like

.tp-caption .html5vid {
-ms-filter: “progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.Alpha(Opacity=50)”;
filter: alpha(opacity=50);
-moz-opacity: 0.5;
-khtml-opacity: 0.5;
opacity: 0.5;
}
Thanks a lot,

Cheers from your Team @ ThemePunch

I tried adding that but it ain't working so I guess my days as an animation createor are slowly dieing since I think this is a problem I might not be able to overcome and slider support is pay to ask ...

Thanks for giving me directions on what to look up, I appriciate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you need transparency for a web page animation or even video then After Effects is not the best tool. You should be using Animate because that is the tool that is designed for creating web-based animations and videos. Throwing anything at a website that is not fully compatible with mobile devices is also a waste of time. 

There are some 3rd party solutions that will help you with graphics, but actual video from AE is going to have to be re-rendered with a suitable tool to give you a universally usable transparent background and if the frame size is large (HD) the file size is also going to be huge and the website will be slow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 10, 2019 Dec 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I came to conclusion that my main video is rendered in AE so I will try putting transparent animations on that video so that background becomes my main video, we'll see how it goes, I'll post here the website if You want ot taka a look when i finish.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 04, 2021 Jul 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Rick! You are correct! I just imported the rendered video back to AE and saw that it IS transparent!!   It's strange why the background still shows up in other programs like Quicktime, etc.  

Greatly appreciated!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 04, 2021 Jul 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are no basic media players that support transparency. The background is always going to be black if you use YouTube, Vimeo, Quicktime, Windows Media.  If you need transparency on a website you have to choose other options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2022 Feb 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Rick, what if you need to create a transparent option for software such as OBS as an overlay.

I'm going to import my AE project to PP and export from there, but I'm still not confident that is the answer.  I'm looking to create an assett like this:

https://youtu.be/VvIJCMxGcLo?t=229

This is an Animated / Transparent overlay as a video file that is imported into OBS (or SLOBS) as a media source.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines