Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Roto Brush and bad result

New Here ,
Dec 23, 2017 Dec 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I know that is basic, sorry, but I'm a very new user of After Affects.

I'm learning with some tutorials and trying to do a Lava Floor video using Roto Brush but the render result is very bad.

I need to fix two issues:

1.The Roto Brush is "exploding" outside the area I've marked

Freezing:

lf02.PNG

Render:

lf01.PNG

2.I'm using the Glow effect in the main composition, but it's doing a bad effect on the Roto Brush. I think this is harder to fix.

Additional information:

I've used this tutorial, but in the tutorial he didn't explain the tecniche of put the pillows ahead the lava.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIRCI-mdYA0

Thank you so much!

Cris

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 23, 2017 Dec 23, 2017

When you are new to AE you absolutely MUST vet the folks doing the tutorials. A few years ago about 80% of the tutorials were produced by folks that knew what they were doing and maybe 80% of those gave accurate explanations and efficient workflows. Unfortunately, now, about half or more of the tutorials you will find on YouTube fall into the category of bad advice and lousy workflows. Some are completely wrong. I would give the tutorial you are following a D because even though he eventually ge

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rotobrush isn't a universal magic tool. In your case traditional masking would work much better. That and you may simply needf to pre-compose your masked result to correctly retain the Alpha/ transparency created.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 28, 2017 Dec 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Mylenium! I've used the traditional mask, but it spends a lot of time, almost frame to frame, even using the mask tracking.

Roto Brush is much easier. It's a pit that I didn't fix the issue using that tool.

Thanks and have a happy new year!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you are new to AE you absolutely MUST vet the folks doing the tutorials. A few years ago about 80% of the tutorials were produced by folks that knew what they were doing and maybe 80% of those gave accurate explanations and efficient workflows. Unfortunately, now, about half or more of the tutorials you will find on YouTube fall into the category of bad advice and lousy workflows. Some are completely wrong. I would give the tutorial you are following a D because even though he eventually gets the job done the workflow is not applicable to any kind of professional results and more was left out than explained. I could not produce repeatable predictable results using his workflow.

That said when looking to learn AE look for tutorials on standard workflows before you look for tutorials on creating specific effects. If you think you need Camera Tracking, learn all about camera tracking. For some compositing tasks, it is a very good tool, for others, it is the worst possible choice. To learn about Rotobrush learn all about Rotobrush.  It is a complex tool suited for a limited number of masking tasks and completely unsuited for others. If you want to learn about compositing computer-generated objects or images with footage you need to learn about the techniques involved in layering. Layering has nothing to do with AE, it has everything to matching perspective, lighting, color, and camera movement.

I take it that you are trying to get the child to walk across the floor on pillows and replace the floor. That means you need a separate layer for the girl and the pillows. Rotobrush may be acceptable for the girl but her legs are probably going to be close to the same color as the floor so Rotobrush may take some serious tweaking to get work. The only part of the girl you need to put on a separate layer is the part that actually has the floor behind it. The pillows are probably best put on their own layer and simple masking would probably be the easiest option for getting that layer separated from the floor. I can't tell without seeing the actual footage and the camera move.

As far as Warp Stabilizing and Camera Tracking, that also depends entirely on the shot. If I were doing Camera Tracking I would NEVER  warp stabilize before camera tracking because Warp Stabilizing bends images optically and that fouls up solving for a perfect AE camera and WS should be applied to the entire composite so the warping is uniform across the entire composite. Again, to give the best advice we have to see the entire shot.

From what I can see and guess I would first hand animate a mask for just the floor using a separate solid layer. I would then animate a second mask, using a solid layer for the pillows. I usually add a colored solid, set the blend mode to screen or overlay so I can see through it, then animate a mask. These layers will be used for track mattes for other layers create the layers. Maybe you need to do some camera tracking to lay down the lava layer, but maybe some motion tracking or corner pin tracking would work better. It all depends. Once you have all of the layers then you just stack them up and work on the color correction, edges, and lighting to sell the shot.

I hope this helps a bit. Vet your trainers, make sure you understand basic operations and workflows, and study books on compositing and visual effects to understand the basic principals of compositing, because those principals do not change and are not dependant at all on the software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 28, 2017 Dec 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow! Thanks for the complete answer Rick.

Yes, for sure I need to study a lot of things yet. Thanks for the advice.

Thanks for the tips about the warp stabilizing being used before the camera tracking. You are right!

I've used masks and tried camera tracking.

Now, I'm adding some aditional effects on the lava and I'll share the video on youtube on the weekend.

Again, thank you so much and have a happy new year!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 12, 2019 Jul 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe should provide better tutorials then.  Thing is, the rotobrush really isn't very good. I've been using AE professionally for about 6-7 years, but I've never found good results with the rotobrush. I recently tried rotoing a black top hat out against a green background, and despite the hard edges, the contrast and the colour difference the rotobrush was worse than useless. Although AE isn't my primary field of expertise, I've still never worked with any pro compositor who uses it. The genneral consensus is to forget the roto brush and just mask. The roto brush SUCKS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 18, 2019 Aug 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
  • Yessss that's the truth right there !!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines