Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Scaling a shape without changing the position

Community Beginner ,
Jun 28, 2019 Jun 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am a novice to After Effects and have a question. I am creating a short animation for a video project and I want a series of circles to emanate from the same position in the composition, scale up and then disappear. When I animate the scale of the layers the end position of the shape is always different, whereas I want all the shape layers to retain the same start and end position, only for their size to change from that centred position. I guess this has something to do with Anchor points but I cannot find the answer. Many thanks for any advice!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jun 28, 2019 Jun 28, 2019

Sure, one thing I forgot to mention: this is basic stuff. Ae is not a video editor. it's not that intuitive. you have to make sure to nail the basics before you dive in or else you will get stuck over and over, and with it - feel frustrated.

make sure you at least exhaust the free tutorials on the Adobe page:

After Effects tutorials | Learn how to use After Effects

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if all your shapes are on one layer, you would need to scale them from the scale property of they group in the shape content hierarchy
Like this:

if the shapes are each on different layer you would need to center the anchor point for each layer so that the scale would be from the center. you can center the anchor point with shortcut Ctrl+Alt+Home and some other shortcut exist as well for this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Roei, thanks so much for your reply! I will try again now using your tip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure, one thing I forgot to mention: this is basic stuff. Ae is not a video editor. it's not that intuitive. you have to make sure to nail the basics before you dive in or else you will get stuck over and over, and with it - feel frustrated.

make sure you at least exhaust the free tutorials on the Adobe page:

After Effects tutorials | Learn how to use After Effects

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 16, 2023 Feb 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

AE is not a video editor. A video editor is not suited for doing thing like creating shapes, sizing them, and animating them. That's the point of AfterEffects. 

I don't think the OP is trying to use their Premiere experience to use AfterEffects or expects it to be the same.  Premier is not intuitive when it comes to this either--and the standard advice? Premiere isn't suited to that, use AfterEffects

So yes, one does have to learn AfterEffects to use it. I think it's OK that the OP asks a question about the basics.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines