• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Selection tool changes mask shape in stead of moving layer

Explorer ,
Sep 23, 2019 Sep 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a new behaviour after the latest update of After Effects v16.1.3 build 5, OSX Mojave.

When you have a mask on a layer, you have the "Toggle mask and shape path visibility" switched on, and you have the layer selected, you can't move the layer with the selection tool (V) anymore. Using the selection tool transforms the shape of the mask.

If I disable the toggle mask, or deselect the layer, or select multiple layers ... it works as it used to be.

Any feedback would be helpful,

Thank you,

Sam

This is annoying. Is this normal, and can this be set back to the way it worked before (just moving a layer)?

------------------------------
We explain how to do stuff
animation - video - elearning for technical trainings
TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not noticed any change in behavior. If the mask path is not selected the layer moves. When the layer is selected you should get 8 little squares surrounding the layer that are the same color as the layer with no lines in between. If the mask path is selected you get a light gray box around the mask with 8 little open squares, one in each corner and one at the midpoint of each of the sides. If the mask path is selected, or one of the vertices are selected, the mask moves. If rebooting and restarting doesn't fix the problem try trashing your preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try trashing AE's Prefs files.

Motion Graphics Brand Guidelines & Motion Graphics Responsive Design Toolkits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 24, 2019 Sep 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, we'll try to trash the preferences once the current project is finished.

I'll let you know if it worked out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 01, 2019 Oct 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The project is finished, and the problem is gone.
We really don't know what happened and cannot reproduce it anymore.

We did not delete the preference files, we did not reboot the computer.

We did restart After Effects and we did delete cache & preview files, but we did that as well before I started this thread, and back then it didn't help.

Maybe it was a conflict between graphics board/software/osx or other issue. We'll never know.
Anyway, thanks for thinking with us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Oct 01, 2019 Oct 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for reporting back and it's great that you've completed the project.
Motion Graphics Brand Guidelines & Motion Graphics Responsive Design Toolkits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2021 Feb 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi SamSupermus,

I have this problem pretty regularly. I don't know anyother details, sometime if happens and i can't seem to get rid of it, other times no. I agree, it is really frustrating and a major workflow interuption.  I've had the problem since Ae v16.1.3 to present, Ae v17.6. Really wish they would fix this. 

I also have had this issue:
https://community.adobe.com/t5/after-effects/pen-tool-not-creating-masks-correctly/m-p/9725304

I think both these issues might have to do with the scale of a layer. It seems to be the problem for the above issue. Just a theory though. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 09, 2021 Feb 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kaiser,

We haven't had this issue since I posted it. It has been too long to remember if there was some scaling involved back then.

Thanks for giving feedback though.

About the pen tool issue: that is also something we have never encountered. So - I am afraid I can't help from our experience.

Sam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 03, 2023 Mar 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanted to say that I have this problem as well.
It sometimes appears, but it is difficult to say why. 

In my current project, the error is present, until I delete my scale keyframes. 
Once I delete them, I can again move the layer with the move tool. 

As I said. It is extremely difficult to reproduce this problem. 
A theory is that the problem may appear in a situation where an object is scaled, and also linked to another object that scales. The translation from a global to local value may confuse the UI of After Effects to think that the selectable area of the mask is bigger, that it should be.

Maybe - it's just a theory. 
I have an After Effects file with the error, should any Adobe employee want to see the error themself. 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2023 Jul 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes this has just happened to me in Ae 23.5.0 Mac Os 12.3 Apple M1 Max Macbook Pro.
It is indeed related to layers with scale keyframes.
I have deleted the keyframes and Ae immediately went back to normal behaviour: V Selection Tool no longer changes the mask and transforms the layer as expected.
Definite bug related to scale keyframes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines