• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Simple Transparent Gradient Question

Community Beginner ,
Jun 15, 2009 Jun 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How does one go from a solid color to transparent in - for instance - a shape layer? Can't seem to find the setting anywhere.

Thanks for the help,

Ray

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User

Don't loose hope just yet, Ray

Gradient Overlay doesn't show the UI controls for start/end points... just like in Photoshop, where they would be very welcome!

You only get those in Shape Layer gradients, which I thought you mentioned in your original post.

Now, the Ramp effect does show on-screen controls, but it doesn't handle transparency values across the gradient. So, don't loose your hair looking for those.

If you're using a shape, just make sure you click the hot text right at the left of the

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info, but for some reason it's still not working for me. No matter what I try I can't get the second color of the gradient fill to be transparent. Even though I set the opacity down to 0% I still end up with a solid color in my rectangular shape (that I'm using for a lower third. Any other ideas would be great.

Thanks,

Ray

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The opacity stop may be perfectly set, but that stop may simply be located outside the shape boundaries.

When you select the shape, you should see two dots (or two dots and a circle for radial gradients). These are the on-screen controls for the gradient stop locations. Make sure the end point is inside (or close to the boundaries) of your shape.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried two different ways now to get this right. First with "Gradient Overlay" but I can't see the stops you've mentioned so I'm unable to adjust things that way.

I've also tried using a "ramp" and with that I see the stops. Unfortunately, I can't make the second color fade to zero transparency. In Photoshop this is so easy, but AE is kicking my butt with this issue.

If anyone has an other ideas that would be great.

Thanks,

Ray

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't loose hope just yet, Ray

Gradient Overlay doesn't show the UI controls for start/end points... just like in Photoshop, where they would be very welcome!

You only get those in Shape Layer gradients, which I thought you mentioned in your original post.

Now, the Ramp effect does show on-screen controls, but it doesn't handle transparency values across the gradient. So, don't loose your hair looking for those.

If you're using a shape, just make sure you click the hot text right at the left of the fill color swatch (ie, the yellow "fill" word), and change the fill type to linear or radial gradient.

Shape layers currently offer the most powerful gradient creation in AE, since they have precise on-screen control AND opacity values as gradient stops.

Let me know if you need more help.

PS: There is ONE case in which shape layer gradients won't show on-screen controls - when the gradient fill (or gradient stroke) is at the root of the shape layer hierarchy instead of nested inside a group (don't worry, you only get this by manually adding a gradient fill/stroke. In all other cases, gradients are automatically nested inside shape groups).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RaycerX wrote:

I've tried two different ways now to get this right. First with "Gradient Overlay" but I can't see the stops you've mentioned so I'm unable to adjust things that way.

I've also tried using a "ramp" and with that I see the stops. Unfortunately, I can't make the second color fade to zero transparency. In Photoshop this is so easy, but AE is kicking my butt with this issue.

No, I think you are misunderstanding the previous posts. The key to success is not using different methods, but adjusting the gradient position handles. Using the Ramp effect or layer styles will only enforce rasterization, as they are bitmap effects or affect the render order of 3D layers (should that be relevant). What you must du is to select the path shape or shape group that the fill is applied to using the Move Tool (!!!), not the shape tools. When you do so, the start and end point will show up. their default position is [0,0] and [0,100], which is in teh middle of the comp. As mentioned earlier, if your shapoe is e.g. in the left half of the comp, naturally only the full color of the start point will show up this way. Also do not forget, that the gradient will render on top of existing fills, if you have defined them, so remove them to get transparency....

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 16, 2009 Jun 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for everyone's help. Finally figured it out. As was noted, adding a gradient using layer styles or effects is not the proper way to go. Clcking on the word "FIll" in the top menu bar is the proper way.

I've got it working now. Thanks for all the help guys. Much appreciated.

Ray

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 03, 2014 Jun 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not simple...

The ramp effect is not intuitive. A linear ramp turns out to be more of a radial gradient when you move the selectors around ( if you select white and black ). I can generate a mask but it's not exactly what I want--which is a simple linear 90 degree gradient (SUPER EASY in photoshop ).

I have no idea where "Fill" is on the top menu bar. I don't see that text.

If I generate a fill from Effects, I can change the alpha of the entire fill but not the individual gradient color.

After Effects, come on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pwhit888, you are responding to a thread in which people are talking about gradients using shape layers, but you are talking about the Ramp effect. That is why, for example, you aren't seeing the Fill control; if you were using a shape layer, you would.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, I understand this.

When selected on a solid black layer, no where on my tool bar do I see the words fill. I can generate a fill but it doesn't do what I want.

When applying a gradient overlay, you can't drag the alpha of one of the gradients and actually have it be alpha from the gradient screen....or, you can, but it doesn't apply to your solid.

What you have to do is create either a ramp ( which is counter intuitive as it doesn't seem like a standard linear gradient ) or make a gradient overlay THEN use that gradient overlay as a lumme matte for that solid. Or, at least, this was the method I had to use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines