• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Space bar keeps going BACK to beginning!

Community Beginner ,
Dec 08, 2018 Dec 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm editing a comp for a school project and when I pause (space bar) and press play (space bar) the playback goes BACK to the beginning of my comp and not where I had paused it in my timeline. I'm trying to see my progress from when I'm editing in my timeline without having to watch the video from the beginning. How do I stop this? I must have hit a few keys of selected something to mess up my spacebar functions

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Feb 11, 2019 Feb 11, 2019

Dave you're being super unhelpful and honestly quite patronising – heres the answer to your problem:

Go to Window > Preview.
In the Preview menu, select the Play From option, the drop down has two options: Current Time or Start of Range.
Select Current Time to preview the video from any point in your timeline.

Hope that helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since the topic is more than can be covered in a post, I invite you to look up the Views And Previews section of AE Help.  You'll learn a lot.

Really.  Previewing is an acquired skill  And depending on your circumstances, you may want to do it in different ways. 

[abuse removed by moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where do I go to find "Views and Previews" in the AE help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just letting you know, since this project is for school, I'm at a high level of stress because of this. I'm just new to this program. This space bar problem didn't exist until recently, which leads me to think something happened with the program??? Since I'm a beginner at AE, although saying I "dont know how to preview" is true...it isn't helpful but its painfully obvious that you come across arrogant. If I did know how to preview I wouldn't be on this forum wasting my time, right?

I'll give you my circumstance: the space bar doesn't function the way it used to. The space bar, to me, meant "play and pause and play from where I paused in my timeline"...but now it means "play and pause and play from the beginning..." which I don't want. Previewing may be an acquired skill, but I think "not stating the obvious" and actually being helpful is a better skill.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 14, 2019 Nov 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Buddy I have seen you on many posts and you have been mean and degrading. I would have to agree with the others in saying that you are coming off as arrogant. We need positivity in this community, and you are not showing that at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2020 Jan 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What a useless and condescending answer, you're like over 70 get a life, its honestly pathetic mate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2021 Nov 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow dude.. I had this exact same question and it was someone else who had the super helpful answer. You sir... are no mentor, teacher, and probably should ot be posting here. Really.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2022 Jul 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how did you solve it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 15, 2022 Mar 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Common Dave what kind of answer is this? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2022 Apr 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What a stupid response Dave, your title should be changed to "Obnoxious" instead....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 13, 2022 May 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL DAVE, you're an idiot. Learn some manners

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 06, 2022 Sep 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jep i currently having the same problem over here, withs is weart to me, i use this software already for more then 8 years, and never ever came across this "problem" it just started doing this for now obvious reasons, it just started doing so, and it's not handy when your working on a project that's more then one hour long, and everytime you want to preview it from a specific point you have to watch the whole project from the start 🤨 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2023 Jun 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[abuse removed by moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2023 Sep 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave. You could have given the answer in less time it took for you to go on a patronizing and rude rant. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2019 Feb 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave you're being super unhelpful and honestly quite patronising – heres the answer to your problem:

Go to Window > Preview.
In the Preview menu, select the Play From option, the drop down has two options: Current Time or Start of Range.
Select Current Time to preview the video from any point in your timeline.

Hope that helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2019 Feb 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, glad there's someone like you around. Super helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 17, 2019 Feb 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the help, Adobe forums need people like you kelano38264867 who reply to help others, which is the forum's main target.

I'm an ACP mainly active on the Premiere Pro forums, but I come across here from time to time to try to help users,

and I'm also annoyed by the way you reply @Dave LaRonde! This is not by any way helpful to users. If you are not willing

to come across with helpful answers, better not reply at all then! Sorry but this is not the first time I encounter such

unhelpful and useless replies to users on the forums, the forums which were designed by Adobe to help their users.

Professionalism is not just about knowledge, its about being helpful as much as you can ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2020 Apr 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! This was very helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 26, 2021 Aug 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Came here for this very problem (my AE settings changed after an update) and you solved it. Many thanks! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2023 Jan 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it didnt help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2023 Feb 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The best answer, thanks a lot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 17, 2023 Jun 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was super helpful, Thank you for sharing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2023 Jul 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

His answer is correct. But in fact, there may also be another solution. I just had this same issue and came here now to see his answer and it didn't help me. It turns out that, if someone is also having the same problem, the solution can be as our colleague described there OR ALSO, in that same tab Window > Preview, in the settings window, select the two boxes in the option: On (Spacebar) Stop: ' If caching play cached frames' and 'Move time to preview time'.

MotionFucingArtist_0-1689202124908.png

MotionFucingArtist_1-1689202168524.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2023 Jul 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fix: Only 'Move Time to Preview Time'.

MotionFucingArtist_0-1689208345429.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 01, 2023 Oct 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was super helpful! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines