• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Space bar keeps going BACK to beginning!

Community Beginner ,
Dec 08, 2018 Dec 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm editing a comp for a school project and when I pause (space bar) and press play (space bar) the playback goes BACK to the beginning of my comp and not where I had paused it in my timeline. I'm trying to see my progress from when I'm editing in my timeline without having to watch the video from the beginning. How do I stop this? I must have hit a few keys of selected something to mess up my spacebar functions

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Feb 11, 2019 Feb 11, 2019

Dave you're being super unhelpful and honestly quite patronising – heres the answer to your problem:

Go to Window > Preview.
In the Preview menu, select the Play From option, the drop down has two options: Current Time or Start of Range.
Select Current Time to preview the video from any point in your timeline.

Hope that helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Nov 23, 2023 Nov 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and disabling move time to preview time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 18, 2024 Feb 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

kelano38264867,
In February 2024 it seems selecting "Current Time" does not enable playing a clip from anywhere within its length. I am currently working in 4K (840x2160), and are unable to check the timing of a fade two thirds of the way within the clip. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2020 Oct 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue but I can't find Window > Preview, it's just not there so I can't find the menu where I can change this setting, it's driving me insane... I should clarify I am very new to this program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 02, 2021 Apr 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried pressing shift+space? I'm having the same issue where I can't find Window > Preview, but I solved the spacebar going back to the beginning by pressing shift+space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 02, 2022 Mar 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone coming here in 2022 asking about space bar preview and the cursor returning to the start, there is a checkbox in the preview section _ move time to preview time –  below, On space bar stop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 15, 2022 Mar 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the preview module in the right change the DROPDOWN - PLAY FROM - from BEGGINING to CURRENT TIME

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2022 Apr 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes - When I updated to 2022 it changed the Play From: to "Start Of Range". So it was always starting from the beinning or start of the composition. To fix this do what exactly what LuisD5F states you need to change it to "Current Time" - You can not change it in the (Composition>Preview>Play Current Preview). That does not work. You have to change it in the preview window. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2022 Jun 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me what worked was keeping it play from current time then at the bottom I clicked move time to preview time and i unclicked  the (if caching play cached frames) and it should work now :)) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2023 Aug 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also got caught with this problem. I wanted the timeline to simply stop and start when i hit the space bar, but it kept jumping back to where it had started.

Turns out you need to have "move time to preview time" ticked and 

"Play From" set to "Current Time".
I can understand now how the preview gives you the best of all worlds and is very nicely accommodating to many ways to preview.

Can't tell you how much of a relief this was, hope it helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2024 Mar 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for helping

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines