• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

SSD Dedicated to Disk Cache for Rendering Speed?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 17, 2022 Apr 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

So my rendering times were pretty good up until today when I installed the Red Giant products. I applied a Magic Bullet LUT to my project and it has taken 30 minutes to render a 27 second clip at quarter preview quality! I have 64GB RAM and the i7-12700KF CPU.

I currently have a SSD which my AE and OS etc. is on and allocate 100GB of this for Disk Cache. I then have a HDD for my footage and Conforted Media Cache. Is that the best places to have all this?

My main question is if I buy a second SSD (250gb) dedicated completely to the Disk Cache, will that improve the preview rendering at all? Should I change the location of anything else as well? If there are any other options to improve playback preview rendering too please let me know.

Thanks.

TOPICS
Freeze or hang , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Apr 17, 2022 Apr 17, 2022

An SSD has nothing to do with the internal processing of plug-ins. All the plug-ins get served is a frame buffer via the internal APIs and that speed doesn't change with or without plug-ins. Changing your disk setup won't do anything. So rather than that, try to figure out why the plug-ins take so long to render. Since MB uses its own GPU acceleration, it stands to reason that in your case there may be something wrong with that and it reverts to slower software-only rendering. Likewise, you simp

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Apr 17, 2022 Apr 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

An SSD has nothing to do with the internal processing of plug-ins. All the plug-ins get served is a frame buffer via the internal APIs and that speed doesn't change with or without plug-ins. Changing your disk setup won't do anything. So rather than that, try to figure out why the plug-ins take so long to render. Since MB uses its own GPU acceleration, it stands to reason that in your case there may be something wrong with that and it reverts to slower software-only rendering. Likewise, you simply could have overcranked a setting somewhere and the complex algorithms simply have a lot to process like large blurs, vibrancy boosts and whatever. Either way, messing with your disk setup is the least of your worries.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines