• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Strange Color/Brightness Shift in After Effects/Premiere with ProRes Import...

Community Beginner ,
Nov 29, 2018 Nov 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.
I've been struggling with finding a solution for this problem for the past two days now. I have a ProRes file ready for VFX work on AE. When I play it in VLC it looks just fine. But when I create a new comp on AE with it it looks less colorful- the black level not appearing fully black, and as if the brightness was pumped up and contrast down. I have gone through all of AE's settings and many forum posts and found no solution. Tried changing AE's color space, display's color space and so on.
A few interesting tidbits:
-The same problem appears inside Premiere.

-When using Mocha inside of After the video looks just fine with no color shifts.

-When exporting ProRes out of AE it also looks just fine.

-When I import one of the original, source files it looks fine.

So I've come to the solution that the problem is with Adobe programs playing/previewing my ProRes file back.

Does anyone have any idea on how to solve this darn problem? I'm lost.

Roy

(Attached are the two examples- the first is from VLC and second is from Pr)

VLC

VLC.png

Premiere/AE

AE:Pr.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Dec 18, 2018 Dec 18, 2018

Long after giving up, I managed to find a solution to this problem myself on Premiere Pro (I believe the same thing works for After Effects too)-

In Premiere, go to Effects>Lumetri Presets>Technical>Legal to Full Range 10-bit (or whatever bit rate your ProRes export is). Add this effect to your ProRes clip. BOOM. Done.

Note: When exporting non-ProRes files (H.264, etc.) out of Premiere this method will fix your export files. But when exporting ProRes remove/hide the effect and then proceed export

Votes

Translate

Translate
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try change comp to 32bpc?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. It has zero effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, the only thing I can think rigth now is use "interpret footage". This color link is huge, try go to "Intepret footage" in this page with ctrl+f and see if works... Managing color in After Effects

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 30, 2018 Nov 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Yes- I tried that before and didn‘t work. Tried to match the ProRes’ file color space but it didn’t change a thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 30, 2018 Nov 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you working on Mac or Windows? ProRes works best for Apple. Try read all "managing colors in After Effects" link , there are several things you can do. Maybe you need match the ProRes and configure the output preview panel too. I found this The Adobe After Effects Import Guide (Part Two): Codecs

But, if you export in another uncompressed format and re-import, don't work for you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 18, 2018 Dec 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Long after giving up, I managed to find a solution to this problem myself on Premiere Pro (I believe the same thing works for After Effects too)-

In Premiere, go to Effects>Lumetri Presets>Technical>Legal to Full Range 10-bit (or whatever bit rate your ProRes export is). Add this effect to your ProRes clip. BOOM. Done.

Note: When exporting non-ProRes files (H.264, etc.) out of Premiere this method will fix your export files. But when exporting ProRes remove/hide the effect and then proceed exporting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 23, 2022 May 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much for this. it just saved my hide.

do you or anyone else know why this is a thing? Probably a dead forum, but gonna put out the ask anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines