• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Stroke effect not showing when PREVIEWING animation

Explorer ,
Oct 05, 2020 Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've recently updated After Effects 2020 (on my Mac) and have this weird issue where I can't see my STROKE effects when previewing / using playback in After Effects. 

As soon as you stop previewing it's there. All settings are fine. Even when exporting as Mp4 or whatever it's there as it should but it just doesn't show when previewing which is very annoying as I can't judge the animations / looks of it while working on it.

Is there any fix for this?

TOPICS
Error or problem , Preview

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Start by checking your hardware acceleration settings and of course if al lthe life update stuff is working.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Mylenium. Video rendering is at Mercury GPU (Metal) as always, changing it to Software Only doesn't solve it. 

I don't know what you mean by "all the life update stuff". If you mean live preview; yes, scrolling through the timeline does show everyting but as soon as you PREVIEW it all stuff that has STROKES don't show where I'm 100% sure this was showing before updating to the latest version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try burging All the memory. Restart After effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Mohammad. This didn't do the trick though. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll wager this is a very thin stroke, and you're previewing at a lower resolution. Correct? If that's the case, either increase the stroke thickness (if that still looks appropriate for what you're doing), or increase your preview resolution. Let us know if you're not sure how to do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 08, 2020 Oct 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It is indeed a thin stroke (1.5 and 2px). Resolution / Down sample Factor popup is set to full. Even zooming in as far as 800% won't do the trick during the preview. Changing the stroke width to 3px does do the trick but I've been making animations with strokes for years and don't think I've had this problem before in older versions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 06, 2020 Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

below 2 pixel value of stroke cant be viewed by preview if you are not using full resolution preview.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines