• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Sunken letter disappearing when made into 3D

Community Beginner ,
Jan 05, 2020 Jan 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to animate a logo in after effects. 

I made it in photoshop orginally and then copied it into Illustrator and did an image trace on it. I then saved that and imported it into after effects and did 'create shapes from vector layer.'

So far so good. But as soon as as I change it into a 3D layer, the last letter disappears. 

The logo itself is a bow and arrow with a word 'cut' into the arrow (so the letters themselves are hollow.) All the rest of the letters how up fine and this happens before adding any extrusion or lights or other 3D effects.

I'm using After Effects 2020 (17.0.1 build 52) and the Cinema 4D renderer.

TOPICS
Error or problem , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advisor , Jan 06, 2020 Jan 06, 2020

It's almost certain that your illustrator file is inappropriate in some way - overlapping paths, wrong path direction or something similar. Expecting autotrace to build well configured paths for 3D extusion is highly optimistic. Open your path in Illustrator and examine the area around the missing letter carefully, looking at the aspects I've highlighted.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advisor ,
Jan 06, 2020 Jan 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's almost certain that your illustrator file is inappropriate in some way - overlapping paths, wrong path direction or something similar. Expecting autotrace to build well configured paths for 3D extusion is highly optimistic. Open your path in Illustrator and examine the area around the missing letter carefully, looking at the aspects I've highlighted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's probably a path issue but without seeing the setup, it's tough. As Mike says, AutoTrace doesn't make a clean or efficient system. Maybe try bringing the AI in to Adobe XD then send the XD file to After Effects. May work out better for you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I went back into the AI file and took a closer look at the problem letter and the path was split and overlapped at the top. I adjusted it and now it works! 

Thanks for the suggestion. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines