Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Super 8 Film Digitized to MOV with extreme Flicker

Engaged ,
May 02, 2022 May 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello
The link here is an example of the 8 mm reel film that I had converted to digital. Each reel is 3 minutes 30 seconds. I don't know the term to use so I will say that the film plays with continuous flickering. I do not know the technical term so I use 'flickering' . Possibly spluttering, banding....
If I know the exact term of this annoyance I would renew the google search to seek a solution.
Is there a plug-in that can fix this? Or a special application that can possibly remedy the flicker?
Let me know how to repair, to fix, the 'flicker" annoyance.
PS. I work mostly with Premiere Pro. After Effects would be a new experience with a learning curve in order to work on these films with flicker.
AND
This non-profit organization had over one hundred super 8 color films that we took to a transfer house. The films were all converted to MOV format. Half of the films were without 'flicker flashes' and the other half were as presented in this thread. This comment of the transfer from Legacy Digital:
"8mm film with sound stripe attached- Includes synchronizing audio to video delivered in one file-2K Pro Res"
Thanks for any advice !!

Here is a reel that demonstatres Flicker:

https://youtu.be/o-NhPMrCRiU

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 05, 2022 May 05, 2022

Hello @Ezad:

Sounds like you need to select the Layer prior to choosing Layer > Time > Enable Time Remapping.

Here's a screen recording of the process starting from having placed the Layer Markers for first 15 seconds of the clip posted to YouTube:

- Warren

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,
May 02, 2022 May 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ezad,

Could you ask the transfer house why half of the films are scanned with flicker and half of them are good? It could be that they did a half-assed job.

If they didn't, and the films are deteriorated, there are indeed film restoration tools to fix this, but they're not cheap and not easy to master. From past experience restoring archival films I'd recommend PfClean (PFClean | The Pixel Farm Ltd.). 

Wim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 03, 2022 May 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

From the transhouse I got this reply:

" That is what your film looks like. That’s not flicker, it’s camera malfunction. There’s no way to fix that. Our transfer systems are not capable of causing flicker and we saw that during transfer. If you hold a magnifying glass to the film, you’ll see the bright frames there. "

I will study your link info at Pixel Farm - if that application can possibly be a working solution than the price is worth the investment.

Thanks!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

Can pfclean be used with Adobe Premiere Pro and AE to fix 'flicker' on MOV format files?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ezad,

PfClean is a standalone application and not a plugin. You import footage and after restoring you export it.

Wim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That looks like the film is getting caught in the gate during the transfer.

You could try another film transfer service. Or...

How to skip bad frames in After Effects with Time Remapping

1. Import the ProRes source into an After Effects project file.
  2. Create a new Composition from the Source Footage.
  3. Use Page Down to advance through the footage one frame at a time and Asterisk (*) on the numeric keypad to place a Layer Marker at each bad frame.
  4. While the Layer is selected in the Timeline, choose Layer > Time > Enable Time Remapping.
  5. Advance through and add a Time Remapping keyframe one frame before each bad frame and one frame after such that the keyframes are at good frames.
  6. For each pair of Time Repamming keyframes, select the first of the two and choose Animation > Toggle Hold Keyframe.
  7. Preview to spot-check the results.  If any bad frames were missed, add a Time Remapping keyframe at the first good frame after a bad frame then remove the Time Remapping keyframe just before it (be sure to do this in this order).

Optional - Stabilize the Source Footage:

1. Nest the Comp used for Time Remapping into a new Comp.
  2. While the nested Comp is selected in the new Comp, choose Animation > Warp Stabilizer VFX.

Warp Stabilizer VFX can take some time to process.  Be patient.  Use the Framing pop-up menu as preferred.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 05, 2022 May 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

Working through the instructions. It is number 4 ' Layer > Time > Enable Time Remapping.'

This feature is grey out...what to do?

Here is the clip on this effort ot animate:

https://youtu.be/QlxciJOn-oo

Thanks for any help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @Ezad:

Sounds like you need to select the Layer prior to choosing Layer > Time > Enable Time Remapping.

Here's a screen recording of the process starting from having placed the Layer Markers for first 15 seconds of the clip posted to YouTube:

- Warren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Warren for this most excellent work through.

Very complete.

Gratitude....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 06, 2022 May 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Warren

After completing steps 1 - 7 it was a difficulty to do the Optional. 

In the video the mouse actions are clear however in my duplicating those manuvers the result was compromised.

Here is the video showing what I did and the results.

If possible please explain where I made the mistake.

Thanks!

https://youtu.be/XSSCHIX3rqE 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ezad:

You're really close!  Instead of clicking the new Comp icon at the bottom of the Project panel, drag and drop the "(1-7) Reel 250" Comp onto the new Comp icon.  You'll have a second Comp named "(1-7) Reel 250 2" (the containing Comp) that has "(1-7) Reel 250" as the source for Layer 1 (the nested Comp).  Select the nexted Comp that's Layer 1 inside the containing Comp and then choose Animation > Warp Stabilizer VFX.  After you click "Analize", it may take long time for After Effects to process it.

When it comes to Comp names and file names, I'd avoid "(" and ")".  While inside After Effects, these special characters will not cause an issue.  They shouldn't with modern operating systems nor with modern file systems as well, but I'd stay on the safe side and not use them.

-Warren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for the follow up !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines