• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

This file contains some media which isn’t compatible with QuickTime Player.

New Here ,
Oct 27, 2019 Oct 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated my Mac, and AfterEffects has been a little wonky since. I just finished a project. It included some 3d layers--nothing I haven't used before, though. After it exports quicktime says, "this file contains some media which isn’t compatible with QuickTime Player." It asks if I wish to continue, and when I click yes it makes the video into an audio only. It's super annoying. I thought it might be because of some effect I used, so I screenrecorded the preview then exported the audio and put it over it. Still does not play. Somehow even the screenrecording .mov has "some media which isn’t compatible with QuickTime Player" which simply makes no sense. 

I hate this. 

Please help. 

TOPICS
Error or problem , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Beginner , Apr 05, 2020 Apr 05, 2020

For anyone else with this problem, make sure you're not exporting using the Animation codec (Output Module Settings > Format Options > Video Codec dropdown). This codec isn't supported in newer versions of macOS Catalina. Use the Apple ProRes 4444 lossless codec instead and you should be fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Jul 18, 2020 Jul 18, 2020

setting the render to Apple ProRess 4444 (whatever that is 😛 ) works

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Oct 07, 2020 Oct 07, 2020

Amber - Try setting the video codec to ProRes 422 instead of 4444. It'll be a smaller file. If that is still too big, there are other codecs in that same list that you can try.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
May 18, 2020 May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, thank God you posted this! So, normally I render straight to Media Encoder. Is there any way to set that up too instead of having to make a .mov file and then an .mp4 afterwards?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 18, 2020 May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm - I just tested a quick video+animation render through Media Encoder and had no trouble. The problem here seems to be with the QuickTime Animation codec in AE's built-in render module, so as long as you're not rendering in that format, you should see no issues.

If you want your final render to be an .mp4 without any extra steps, send your composition to Media Encoder as normal; then, under Format, choose H.264 and your desired preset.

As far as what someone said above about quality issues using H.264, I didn't see that in my test. If your export is a lower quality than you expected, just mess around with the presets or basic video settings until you find something that works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2022 Mar 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what happens when this message:

This file contains some media which isn’t compatible with QuickTime Player

comes from premiere.

i export the video, and all looks good, but try to open and this text pops up, i select continue and then play really good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2020 Jun 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Literally the most painful thing possible. I tried the Apple ProRes 4444 and it got the video but the audio and sound was so behind. So I was like ok of course it's just me where this doesn't work. But I figured it out. I have a MacBook Air 2017. And the Apple ProsRes 4444 did NOT work but I tried the one above it that said Apple ProRes 422 proxy and that worked. Just thought I'd put this out here because this was the worst thing I've ever experienced. 

BIG PICTURE:If APPLE PRORES 444 does not work for you do APPLE PRORES 422. 

Open the app>EDIT(top left of screen)> TEMPLATES>OUTPUT MODULE>EDIT(middle of screen)>FORMAT OPTIONS(bottom right)>VIDEO(top left of the current page next to audio)>VIDEO CODEC> APPLE PRORES 422 PROXY

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2021 Jan 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU OH MY GOD! I WAS ABOUT TO FAIL BECAUSE OF THE DEADLINE!!! YOU LIFESAVER

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2020 Jun 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i made an account just to tell u thst i love u and you saved my life thank u so mych ur amazing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 29, 2020 Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I LOVE YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2020 Jul 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bless bless it worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 31, 2020 Jul 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this worked

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 06, 2021 Apr 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

where do i find output module settings? Thanks 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2022 Feb 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you to whoever wrote this. I am an After Effects beginner with a brand new mac and the newest verstion of Adobe Creative Cloud. I had no idea what this was talking about.  But I found the ProRes4444 option and the video works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2021 Sep 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked!! Thank you! You are the man

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2023 Sep 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Worked, thank you!! Although, now I have a 3 second video that is a whole gb!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines