• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Time indicator/playhead won't go to last frame of timeline.

Engaged ,
Aug 20, 2019 Aug 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I was wondering why the time indicator/playhead won't go to the last frame of the timeline:

Screen Shot 2019-08-20 at 3.01.55 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-08-20 at 3.05.18 PM.png

It always blocks one frame before the end...

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Aug 20, 2019 Aug 20, 2019

The current time indicator (CTI) snaps to the start of each frame. Since there is nothing beyond the last frame in a composition, you cannot move to the rightmost edge.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The current time indicator (CTI) snaps to the start of each frame. Since there is nothing beyond the last frame in a composition, you cannot move to the rightmost edge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow! Thank you! I appreciate it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 22, 2021 Mar 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So what should I do if my compostion is 15 seconds but its stopping at 14:23? How can I make it go until 15 seconds?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2022 Nov 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this same problem - my compostion is 10 seconds but its stopping at 09:23.. and I need to export at 10 seconds but keeps exporting at 09.23, any answers much appreciated

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 12, 2022 Nov 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Set the composition length to 0:00:15:00 and the frame rate to 24. The last frame will start at 0:00:14:23 and end at 0:00:15:00. The Timeline length and the comp length are correct. The Current Time indicator is always at the start of the current frame. That's how it works in all video apps and media players. 

In an NLE like Premiere Pro (or any NLE), if you trim the timeline or layer to the current position of the CTI (current time indicator), you will not see any video because the Cut is made at the start of the current frame. Editing a sequence is more intuitive because you can see what is starting at the current time instead of what is ending. 

In a compositing or 3D app, the CUT is always at the start of the current frame so that you can see what is going on. This lets you know where you need to put the last element and see the position of everything in the current frame. If you want to set the position at the last frame, you need to see it. How frustrating would it be if you were working on a composite or motion graphic in AE, and you set an outpoint, and the composition panel went black? 

If you want to move the CTI to the end of a timeline, just press Ctrl/Cmnd + right arrow, and you will see black. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2022 Nov 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much Rick!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2023 May 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick, i have my fps on 24, im setting the time duration setting on 10 secs and it comes up as 10 secs but on the time line it only lets me go to 9:23 secs even tho my view is all the way out. any help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 31, 2023 May 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The start of the last frame in a 10-second movie is 0:00:09:23. After the frame plays, the movie will have played for 10 seconds. The CTI (Current time indicator, is always at the start of the frame, not the end. There is nothing wrong. If you changed the comp length so that the last frame started at 0:00:10:00, then the comp would be ten seconds and one frame long. 

Did you follow that? Everything is normal. If you use the Comd/Ctrl key + right arrow, you will move to the end of the last frame of the comp, the CTI will be at the end of the comp instead of the start of the last frame, and the time code counter will show 0:00:10:00 because the comp has finished playing and it lasts exactly 10 seconds. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines