Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Trimming shape layer disappears all keyframes

Engaged ,
Dec 09, 2022 Dec 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I do not understand something. From experience, I know where your keyframe ends you can cut /trim the layer there (where your animation ends). and it will appear as it is in composition. I am learning about 'repeater'. and create a starburst animation using the trim path. My composition is 10 seconds long. starburst animation keyframes (trim path start and ends keyframes) took only 2 seconds. So I thought I will cut the layer where the keyframe ends and copy-paste it to creat several star burst animations! But as I cut the layer all animation stops and the keyframe disappears! trimming layer.gif

Why does this happen?

and another question is there any relation between pre-comp duration and main composition duration?

I mean suppose my composition is 10 seconds long. and if I create a precompose taking some layers what will be its duration? 10 seconds? 

Thank you.

TOPICS
User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Dec 20, 2022 Dec 20, 2022

Hi @Suraiya A,

What keyboard command are you using to trim the Shape layer? From the GIF recording, it appears that you've moved the layer backward in time by using the close bracket ] key? To trim the layer, use the Alt/Opt+] instead and your keyframes will remain in place.

To your second question: when pre-comping any layer(s), you are given the option to "Adjust the composition duration to the span of the selected layers" if you choose to "Move all attributes into the new composition". In t

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The duration of content in pre-comps created from existing comps is determined by the different options for "Keep attributes" vs. moving them into the sub-comps, including the lengths of already trimmed layers. You can try it out easily with a few solids or images. The keyframes disappearing is odd and should not happen, so I can't offer an explanation. That is unless there's something going on with time manipulation and the keys simply have shifted in the comp's inactive areas.

Mylenium 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I think you can not trim layers that have trim path and repeaters applied. Each time am trimming layers that have a trim path and repeater it disappears from the composition.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's definitely not intended or desired. I'd consider it a serious bug. I'm gonna change this to a bug so perhaps the devs can see and investigate it.

Mylenium 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot reproduce your bug on an M1 Mac with AE23.0

RickGerard_0-1670632191204.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, Mine is windows 10 and AE 2023. I can not trim layers that have trim and repeater. Thank you 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 20, 2022 Dec 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Suraiya A,

What keyboard command are you using to trim the Shape layer? From the GIF recording, it appears that you've moved the layer backward in time by using the close bracket ] key? To trim the layer, use the Alt/Opt+] instead and your keyframes will remain in place.

To your second question: when pre-comping any layer(s), you are given the option to "Adjust the composition duration to the span of the selected layers" if you choose to "Move all attributes into the new composition". In that case, the duration of the resulting pre-comp will match the selected layers. Otherwise, a new pre-comp will always be the same length as the composition it was created in.

Cheers,

- John, After Effects Engineering Team  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 20, 2022 Dec 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello @JohnColombo 

Yes, I used the close bracket ] key. Now I tried Altt+] and the probelm is solved.  Thank you so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines