• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to execute script at line 0. After Effects error: Can not run a script while a modal dialog is waiting for response

Jul 15, 2017 Jul 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting this error when loading some, but not all projects. This error is only incurred when clicking on the AE project file from within Windows Explorer. When the project is opened from within After Effects the projects open without error. Why? Needing a computer engineering degree appears to be a prerequisite for working with the Adobe apps.

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Jul 15, 2017 Jul 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know the answer to your question but just had comment on the irony of...

Needing a computer engineering degree appears to be a prerequisite for working with the Adobe apps.

There was a time when that was actually true...or very close to true anyway.

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 02, 2017 Aug 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi POH911,

Sorry for this issue. Did you ever find a solution? Please let us know if our experts’ advice helped you or if you still need help.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2017 Nov 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin,

Has an answer ever been found for this... had this happen today for the 1st time... and it seems intermittent...

AE version 2018... hopefully there will be an update that resolves this...

happened with No ScriptUI Panels open...  and when I did open them... so I would think this isn't the issue...

Have a great evening...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 18, 2017 Jul 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have any script UI panels open in your AE interface?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 18, 2017 Jul 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No script UI panels. Again, these projects can be opened either from within AE or even from Windows Explorer if AE is already open and running. It does appear that the error comes only for projects that were created in an earlier version of AE and have been converted. However I also have many other converted projects that open without error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 19, 2017 Jul 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have occasionally gotten this error too. I haven't really troubleshot (troubleshooted?) it enough to figure out the cause since it's a harmless message, but I am getting a bit curious about it. Maybe I'll poke at it a bit this weekend.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 25, 2017 Sep 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue with a lot of projects, but not all of my projects. And I do have ScriptUI Panels open. Still no solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 16, 2018 Jan 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also having this issue after a about a half hour into a project I will get this warning dialog when I try to use a script.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2018 Jan 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I faced the same issue recently ...

It means that you installed a script which runs when you open After Effects .in some cases when you install after effects at run time one or more dialog boxes appear . The image is what I faced whenever open After Effects.

4587.jpg

The simple thing I do was like the above image. Just choose "Never Again" and hit OK.

Now Script can run at After Effects runtime without any modal dialog at line 0.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2018 Sep 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

delete all recently installed Scripts from here:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe After Effects CC 2015\Support Files\Scripts

and from here:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe After Effects CC 2015\Support Files\Scripts\ScriptUI Panels

and from here:

:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Aescripts

and after that the problem will be solved

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 15, 2019 Apr 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like sorry but this answer is a joke, right?

How the hell is it a solution to tell me hey delete all the scripts and...sure, then you will have no problem at all but hack in such case you will have no scripts to use - you will lose them all forever, da fug is this?!

Ah, DISLIKE button needed here to down-vote such retarded answers, really!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2019 May 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i delete my temp files and it works again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 11, 2019 Jun 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gotta agree, deleting all my scripts is not a suitable answer. Maybe opening .aep files from AE as opposed to windows explorer or deleting temp files, but certainly not deleting all scripts lol.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 03, 2021 Sep 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

default5u30tjs7fn3m_0-1630699450252.png

You only delete file MotionFactory100.aex => DONE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2022 Jan 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @Phi 2021 . couldnt find it. Hope It works. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2023 Jun 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to File >>> Project Settings>>> see on the extreme right Tab >>change from JavaScript to LegacyExtendScript. hope that helps ya.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 27, 2023 Dec 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 16, 2019 May 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this issue come up today. The culprit seemed to Motion Factory after I had Digital Juice running for the first time. I suspect the two dialogue boxes were fighting each other.  I uninstalled Motion Factory and things seem to work fine. I'll consider re-installing when I have time to mess around with it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 11, 2020 Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also noticed this started happening when I installed Motion Factory.  I used the extension mgr they have to delete it but it continues to happen.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 19, 2019 Aug 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Answered!  I deleted all of my temp files and opened up AE again and the issue was fixed.

1. Press the Windows Button + R to open the "Run" dialog box.
  2. Enter this text: %temp%
  3. Click "OK." This will open your temp folder.
  4. Press Ctrl + A to select all.
  5. Press "Delete" on your keyboard and click "Yes" to confirm.
  6. All temporary files will now be deleted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2020 Sep 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

haha nice joke

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 18, 2022 Jul 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Old thread but I found a super quick fix to this - works every time in AE 22 - The problem only happens when I'm booting AE by opening existing project. If I boot up AE with a blank project FIRST - then open my project - no script error!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2023 Apr 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*Workaround, not a fix. But still cool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Apr 10, 2023 Apr 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is yet another neverending workflow stopper for folks who use ScriptUI panels. Not sure what sparks it, but for some reason (usually once a day) my ScriptUI panels just stop functioning until I close the actual script panel window, open it again, get this stupid freaking message, hit OK, reopen the panel and it works again. Or sometimes quicker, I restart the app. Either way it kills workflow and is highly annoying. Oh and its been going on for years and I'm on a maxed out M1 Macbook Pro 16 inch, but then again it doesn't matter what machine I'm using!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines