• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Understanding Interpret as Linear Light

Engaged ,
Dec 26, 2019 Dec 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't entirely understand what the "Interpret as Linear Light" option in the "Interpret Footage" settings means. The documentation says the following:

"The Interpret As Linear Light option determines whether the assigned input color profile is interpreted as being linear (gamma equals 1.0). This option also works when color management is turned off for the project."

So what is the "assigned input color profile" being interpreted as whenever this option isn't chosen? The main reason that I ask is because I recently encountered a problem when trying to import the following PNG file:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ffur70dS81BI5GaSBCXlWI2M-8PKTzZy

When I open it in Windows Photo Viewer, I am able to see the walls. But if I import it with "Interpret as Linear Light" set to "Off", then the image is overly dark (you aren't able to see the walls). You have to set it to "On" in order to see the walls. I don't understand why this is, because I've never had to turn it on for other image files.

Here's a screenshot of the image as it appears in After Effects with "Interpret as Linear Light" set to off:

HtMHNq6

And on:

BC8bG2l

Here's how it appears in Windows Photo Viewer:

CfZqM3P

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 26, 2019 Dec 26, 2019

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Dec 26, 2019 Dec 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines