Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Very bad AE performance 23.4 especialy with new properties panel

Explorer ,
May 22, 2023 May 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

I have experienced really bad performance issues with new version of AE, even on relatively good HW. 
Previous versions was OK.

i5-13600

8GB 3070 GPU
m2 SDD + 2x SATA SSD
64GB RAM

After I tried to work in 23.4 i experienced brutal slowdowns especially when I had opened the new properties panel. Everything slow down, even the UI refresh after few minutes of working. I tried few restarts, reinstalling, safe mode, nothing helped to me. After I closed properties panel, everything getting better, but only for a while.. after half of hour it was superslow again.. Also I had big troubles with refreshing display while to use Type tool. 
May it be related to variable weight fonts I tried to use?
Only going back to 23.3 solved my problem and safe my life due to tight deadlines.
Hope you will fix this soon, new features seems to be cool..
Thank you 
Ondřej Štindl

TOPICS
Crash , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here.

i9 12900

32GB DDR5

rtx 3070ti

nvme disks

I have only 1 clip imported (30 seconds), no fx, no transformation, nothing and AE become super slow and use 20GB of ram while idle, not even playing the clip. Previous version was ok (not fast at all as AE standards, but this is another thing )

EDIT: opened AE with no project loaded, it use a couple of GB of RAM and remain like this until i import something. Once i imported a clip (4K prores 444 or DNXHR) the usage grows to about 20/26 GB. If i delete the clip from comp and project (resulting in a totally empty project) the RAM usage remain to 20/26 GB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ondřej Štindl & Cad81,

Sorry for the poor experience.

Does it happen with all the projects? Can you try testing After Effects in a new project if you haven't already? It could be related to fonts. Could you try removing them temporarily for testing? Also, try disabling your third-party plug-ins (go to Effect > Manage Effects) and see if that brings any change.

Looking forward to your response.

Note: Moving this thread from Bugs to Discussions for troubleshooting.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nishu, i pinpointed the "issue", it's caused by the option that start caching the preview when AE is idle. Deactivating this option, AE does not fill up the ram with the preview. I have this option activated in v22 but i didn't have this issue.

Perhaps the memory was automatically emptied as soon as I did some operation or it moved the preview from RAM to disk, i don't know.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ondřej:

Your comment "May it be related to variable weight fonts I tried to use?" caught my eye as it is an area I have some interest in. If you stop using the variable fonts does your performance return?

Your comment about "tight deadlines" has discouraged me from asking you to try this with the current After Effects Beta...

Douglas Waterfall

After Effects Engineering

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 23, 2023 May 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Douglas.
I will try all those things You and Nishu mentioned, but at first I need to finish my actual job. And this will take at least 4-5 days.. Then I will be ready for testing 🙂
Have a nice day.
Ondrej

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines