Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Very Large DNxHD Outputs from After Effects 2018

Community Beginner ,
Jan 10, 2018 Jan 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm getting really large file outputs with DNxHD from After Effects 2018.

I have a 2 and a half minute project I'm outputting.

The 1080p HQ 10 bit gives me an output that is around 12 gigs.

The Lowest Quality "LB" setting gives me a file that's about 7 gigs.

These seem very high.  I'm used to working with Pro Res and am now stuck on a windows machine for a bit of time.   These numbers are like 6 time Pro Res Numbers. 

Any suggestions of something I'm doing wrong on my end?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jan 11, 2018 Jan 11, 2018

That does seem very high to me as well. I would suggest trying to use DNxHR is a new version of DNxHD it should help save some space. That being said DNxHD is a robust codec with many options depending on the bitrate, and the options selected the compression might not be a strong as prores 422, it might be acting more like prores444.

2 and half minutes at 12 gigs is heavy, something seems up.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jan 10, 2018 Jan 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's nothing wrong. DNxHD simply doesn't compress as much as ProRes. Depending on what actual settings you used sometimes it almost feels like uncompressed.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Jan 11, 2018 Jan 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Get used to the file sizes. Also, DNxHD outputs Alpha Channel in an uncompressed format. Hence, file sizes will be even larger (not sure if this is relevant to your case but it's useful info nonetheless) with Alpha Channel output. I've occasionally output DNxHD from AE and inadvertently set to render with an Alpha Channel when it wasn't necessary.

Motion Graphics Brand Guidelines & Motion Graphics Responsive Design Toolkits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 11, 2018 Jan 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That does seem very high to me as well. I would suggest trying to use DNxHR is a new version of DNxHD it should help save some space. That being said DNxHD is a robust codec with many options depending on the bitrate, and the options selected the compression might not be a strong as prores 422, it might be acting more like prores444.

2 and half minutes at 12 gigs is heavy, something seems up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 19, 2018 Jan 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Everyone,

sorry for the slow but response but thank you for your input.

Not the answer I was hoping for but it'll have to do!

Thank again all,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines