Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Visual Studio 2013 unable to debug - The request is not supported

New Here ,
Jun 06, 2017 Jun 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm new in AE plugin development. I can build and run code from after effects (cc 2017), but when I try to debug like it says in the SDK Guide, VS says "Unable to start program  C:\Program Files\...\AfterFX.exe. The request is not supported.

I tried starting both programs as administrator, checked my settings and so on.

How can I connect VS to After Effects to debug?

Thank you.

TOPICS
SDK

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 06, 2017 Jun 06, 2017

Hi Maj,

In the SDK Guide, it says to set the Debugging > Command to the full path to After Effects.  How are you starting the debug?  If you choose Debug from the menu, it will start debugging using the StartUp Project.  If the Debugging > Command hasn't been set for that project, you'll get a similar error "Unable to start program...", referring to the default StartUp Project, which is artie.aex.  So if that's what you're doing, you'll need to right-click the project you want to debug, and set t

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 06, 2017 Jun 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Maj,

In the SDK Guide, it says to set the Debugging > Command to the full path to After Effects.  How are you starting the debug?  If you choose Debug from the menu, it will start debugging using the StartUp Project.  If the Debugging > Command hasn't been set for that project, you'll get a similar error "Unable to start program...", referring to the default StartUp Project, which is artie.aex.  So if that's what you're doing, you'll need to right-click the project you want to debug, and set that as the StartUp Project.

Another option is to launch AE manually, and attach to the process at any point using Debug > Attach to Process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2017 Jun 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well my point is that VS is trying to start AfterFX.exe and fails. Problem is not that I'm trying to run a plug-in on it's own, but that AfterFX.exe "does not support the request (for debugging?)"

Exact error message is "Unable to start program  C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe After Effects CC 2017\Support Files\AfterFX.exe. The request is not supported."

I also tried using the command "AfterFX.com", which as expected did nothing.

I will try to start AE manually and attach as well as check everything again tonight and post results. Thank you for your input.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2017 Jul 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I updated to latest SDK and Visual Studio 2015, and the problem is gone. Thank you for your help, following the instruction in the manual is a good idea

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines