• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

VS Code

Contributor ,
Mar 07, 2021 Mar 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to set up VSCode so I can test out scripts for After Effects. Can anyone outline the process for that?  I've watched some tutorials that discuss this, and have installed Adobe Script Runner, ExtendScriptDebugger, and added a 'types' folder with needed files for After Effects from renderTom - but when I try to run a simple hello world js file, I get an error: 'Unable to find Adobe After Effects executable deined in settings. Make sure you have that path set-up correctly. - Source: Adobe Script Runner(Extension)

I've placed my path to AE in settings for Adobe Script Runner: Win After Effects Exe > C:/Program Files/Adobe/Adobe After Effects CC 2020/Support Files/AfterFX.exe 

Do I need to enable legacy filds in my Adobe Creative Cloud and download and install ExtendScript? Or should VSCode be able to run scripts in AE on its own?  Any help appreciated.

TOPICS
Scripting , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Contributor , Mar 07, 2021 Mar 07, 2021

Thanks @angie_taylor Have watched some of your tutorials before and appreciate you helping out here on the forums!

I've made a note of the links you supplied - but I did get this working. 

Came across a post elsewhere that helped me find yellow text in bottom middle of VSCode's interface that says ' Select target Application' - and clicking that allowed me to select Adobe AE 2020 (whereas typing the path elsewhere didn't seem to have desired effect). Anyhow, that in combination with a launch.json

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not my area of expertise but here are some links to tutorials and the AE scripting guides which should help you get started;

https://lesterbanks.com/2011/03/the-basics-of-scripting-in-after-effects-part-2/

https://ae-scripting.docsforadobe.dev/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm hoping that, by replying, it might encourage others with more scripting experience to jump in and help 🙂

It might be a good idea to post this to the After Effects expressions list too as there may be more people there with scripting experience? Or try one of the other forums? http://www.media-motion.tv/lists/ae-list

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @angie_taylor Have watched some of your tutorials before and appreciate you helping out here on the forums!

I've made a note of the links you supplied - but I did get this working. 

Came across a post elsewhere that helped me find yellow text in bottom middle of VSCode's interface that says ' Select target Application' - and clicking that allowed me to select Adobe AE 2020 (whereas typing the path elsewhere didn't seem to have desired effect). Anyhow, that in combination with a launch.json configuration file (from Adobe Script Runner extension I think) allosw me to write and load a script in VSCode and test it in After Effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Mar 08, 2021 Mar 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for letting us know the answer 🙂 and for the kind words. Much appreciated

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, Reindeer.

The reason why Adobe Script Runner didn't work for you, is because you must have set the wrong path to AE executable. As much as I can observe on Mac, there's no "Adobe After Effects CC 2020" folder - there's either "Adobe After Effects CC" or "Adobe After Effects 2020". Adobe's marketing team is to blame for these naming conventions.

On the other hand, "Adobe Script Runner" and "ExtenScript Debugger" are two different extensions, one having nothing to do with the other. ASR is developed by me, while ESD is developed by Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way, today I updated and published a new version of Adobe Script Runner, so all the paths should be set properly by default, and extension -shoud just work-

Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 23, 2021 Mar 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey Tomas - 

Thanks for the first reply and the update!

For some reason, the last few replies from Adobe forums were dumped into my spam folder, so I only discovered then today when going through to look for something else. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines