• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Wacom Intuos failure in After Effects

Community Beginner ,
Sep 07, 2020 Sep 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using a Wacom tablet for 7+ years (first a bamboo, now an Intuos pen & touch) in place of a mouse for all my applications. Just in the past month, when I open After Effects, after about 3-5 minutes of use, I'm no longer able to move the cursor using the pen. If I click down, I am still able to click and drag, and in the Wacom diagnostic tool, everything looks perfectly fine. The problem is, the functionality stops across ALL applications and I can't get it back unless I fully restart the computer. This means once I open After Effects, i must switch to a mouse until I have a chance to fully restart my computer, and then I can't open After Effects without breaking my pen tablet's functionality. 

Tried calling Wacom support and all they had me do was uninstall and reinstall my drivers several times. I tried moving my tablet to another computer (Brand new 2020 Imac, fresh install of the newest AE) and am still having the same issue. Is this a bug? Is my tablet broken? It's not that old, I've only had it for a year or two and it's functionality with every other app I use is completely fine. This only occurs with After Effects.

Has anyone else had this issue?

TOPICS
Error or problem , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Feb 11, 2021 Feb 11, 2021

Hi all,

Until this bug is fixed, I'm posting both workarounds in this comment and marking it as a correct answer temporarily so that it's helpful for others.

Workaround 1:

Go to System Preferences > Wacom Tablet > Pen and change the click behavior to "Pan/Scroll (Legacy)"

Wacom tablet.png

Workaround 2:

Go to System Preferences > Wacom Tablet > Pen and change the click behavior to "Keystroke" and set the Spacebar key as that keystroke.

wacom keystroke.png

When the bug is fixed, I'll come back to update the thread and the c

Votes

Translate

Translate
May 26, 2021 May 26, 2021

Hi all,

Wacom has released a new driver (v 6.3.43-3) that contains a fix for this issue. Here is the link to download the updated driver: https://www.wacom.com/en-us/support/product-support/drivers

Thanks,

Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 110 Replies 110
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2023 Jan 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still no able to work with the wacom bt in After effects. (sad-face)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2023 Jan 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I also still have the same issue.

I've updated the Wacom Driver (I work on the Cintiq Pro) and tried the Workarounds suggested by Rameez. After Effects works correctly for a while and then crash. I have to disconnect the tablet and use the mouse and then restart everything because the tablet will not work correctly with any other app after it crashes in AE.

But I think the crash was caused when I used the right click button on the pen by mistake (actually by habit). It seems that AE has trouble managing the use of this button.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 17, 2023 Jan 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This seems to be the only solution exists (works on Intel and also m1 macbook)

Check out the attached original post as well 

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1PrtjxiOiFGN8OscgEwc7KDyKdXYkP9pG?usp=sharing

This s*** has to be fixed by now...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2023 Jan 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone knows if this has anything to do with the Wacom model ? I mean - I use Wacom + Adobe for over 15+ years and I remember times when everything just worked... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2023 Jan 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it's just a general issue between Wacom tablets and AE. I work with an Intuos at home a Cintiq at work and I get the same problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2023 Apr 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used wacom intuos pro till last update of After Effects and since then I have same issue as in this thread. I tried to reinstall wacom driver, AE and it didn't work. I tried soft for restarting driver, changing to keystroke and it didn't work. I think 3 years should be enough time to fix this bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 21, 2023 Apr 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree it's ridiculous that this is still an issue. Restarting the driver isn't a permanent solution. It just resets the driver so your stylus will work normally again (until the problem reoccurs). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2023 May 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, Did you manage to fix the problem? The same thing happens to me 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2023 May 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well problem solved after last update (v. 23.4), at least on my machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2024 May 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hoy 2024 sigue el mismo problema; uso una Macbook M3 Pro, 18 gb,Sonoma 14.  y no encuentro una solución práctica, me sucede solo en After effects , uso una wacom one, y no aparece el movimiento del mouse hasta que hago presión en la tableta con el lapiz, tengo que reiniciar la computadora, o apagarla desconectar todo por segundos y volverla a prender pero no puedo volver a usar la tableta mientras use after effects, seguí todos los pasos : desintale e intale el controlador, uno menos actual para Wacom, etc

Alguien ya encontro o sabe de alguna solución?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2024 May 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I changed the wacom pen setting like this. This change solved the most important problems but created other, smaller problems. I continue to use it this way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines