• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

warning "RAM Preview needs 2 or more frames" after scrubbing audio in After Effects CC 2014 (13.0)

Adobe Employee ,
Jul 25, 2014 Jul 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The After Effects team are investigating a bug in After Effects CC 2104 (13.0) where a memory leak occurs while scrubbing audio (holding down the CTRL or Command key while scrubbing). This memory leak can eventually consume all free RAM, which can lead to the warning message "After Effects error: RAM Preview needs 2 or more frames to playback" when you try to initiate a RAM preview.

While we investigate this problem, you can avoid the bug and memory leak by not scrubbing with audio. When the problem occurs you can resolve it by closing and restarting After Effects.

http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2014/07/warning-ram-preview-needs-2-or-more-frames-after-scrubbi...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Sep 07, 2014 Sep 07, 2014

Note that this bug is listed as fixed in the upcoming update:

http://adobe.ly/1pFGGRE

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged ,
Aug 29, 2014 Aug 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Todd - I'm not sure that it is specific to CC 2014.  As recently as yesterday I had the same exact bug occur when working with AE CS6.  It did not happen immediately, but after about 10-15min of usage when working with and scrubbing audio using the CTI, the system would start to lag and slow down, then the error message appeared and RAM previews were not working until the software was restarted.  It was an identical situation to what I initially started experiencing with CC 2014.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are talking about a different bug. You are likely talking about the bug addressed by adding the new memory preference described here. That's actually a bug in Mac OS and its failure to free memory that we had to work around. If you're hitting that bug, then follow the instructions on the page linked to.

The bug under primary discussion on this thread is a different bug entirely, regarding audio scrubbing. I am certain that that bug started in After Effects CC 2014 (13.0) because I'm looking at the code change that caused the breakage, which we just fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 03, 2014 Sep 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I encountered this issue when I updated to Mavericks and CC 2014. I took off CC 2014 and went back to cc 12.2.1.5 and the issue followed. It was NOT happening on the earlier version of CC before I downloaded CC 2014. So now even when I am working on cc 12.2.1.5 on I can't do a RAM preview more than twice before I have to start the program over scrubbing aside is the RAM preview linked to this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Szalam

I contacted Apple and they said that compatibility issues are the responsibility of the manufacturer if Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 23, 2014 Aug 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, just wanted to say, I am currently working on an award show for TV and have been scrubbing audio in AE CC 2014 13.0.2.3 without issue. Why am I not having the memory leak problem?

Would like to help if I can.

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: Mac Pro

Model Identifier: MacPro6,1

Processor Name: 12-Core Intel Xeon E5

Processor Speed: 2.7 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 12

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 30 MB

Memory: 64 GB

Boot ROM Version: MP61.0116.B05

SMC Version (system): 2.20f18

Illumination Version: 1.4a6

System Software Overview:

System Version: OS X 10.9.4 (13E28)

Kernel Version: Darwin 13.3.0

Boot Volume: Macintosh HD

Boot Mode: Normal

Computer Name:

User Name:

Secure Virtual Memory: Enabled

Time since boot: 1 day7:24

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 03, 2014 Sep 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very aggravating bug as most of my work requires audio sync with animations. Please fix ASAP!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 07, 2014 Sep 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Note that this bug is listed as fixed in the upcoming update:

http://adobe.ly/1pFGGRE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 09, 2014 Sep 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And can you give a date for this release?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

chrisclinton68 wrote:

And can you give a date for this release?

According to other posts, it should be some time this month or next. They are still working on it. If I were to guess, I would say they're at the stage of making sure that it doesn't introduce any new bugs.

In my experience, Todd and the other AE team members have always given as much information as they could.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> And can you give a date for this release?

Soon.

If you look at when we released After Effects 12.1 following an early-September announcement, you'll see that it was released in October. You may choose to draw a conclusion from that fact.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2014 Sep 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've updated After Effects CC (2014) and am still having this issue. Are other people still experiencing memory leaks when scrubbing through audio on the timeline? The bug makes it very difficult to animate lipsync without having restarting After Effects every couple of minutes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 23, 2014 Sep 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> I've updated After Effects CC (2014) and am still having this issue.

The fix has not been released yet. Soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2014 Dec 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't use AE very often, I spent the entire day working on a project (due tomorrow morning) only to discover I cannot render any video due to the ram preview error: need more than 2 frames...

I've read through this thread which states the bug has been fixed. I'm working with AE CC 2014 ver.13.1.1.3, Mac OS 10.8.5. My file has no audio. I tried to save to both CC and CS6 versions but neither

of them worked. I also tried to render the file in OS 10.6.8 with AE CS6 with no luck. I also notice the last comment here is Oct, 2014, has this problem been solved?

Thanks in advance for any help/ideas you can give.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 08, 2014 Dec 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phijllbo123 wrote:

I don't use AE very often, I spent the entire day working on a project (due tomorrow morning) only to discover I cannot render any video due to the ram preview error: need more than 2 frames...

I've read through this thread which states the bug has been fixed. I'm working with AE CC 2014 ver.13.1.1.3, Mac OS 10.8.5. My file has no audio. I tried to save to both CC and CS6 versions but neither

of them worked. I also tried to render the file in OS 10.6.8 with AE CS6 with no luck. I also notice the last comment here is Oct, 2014, has this problem been solved?

Thanks in advance for any help/ideas you can give.

The bug that had this message popping up when scrubbing audio HAS been fixed. (And it wasn't even present in CS6). So you are experiencing an entirely different issue. That message can pop up for a number of reasons.

Especially since you seem to be having this error with multiple OS's and several different versions of AE, the problem must be inherent in your comp. And here we have an issue: we know nothing about your compositions! What format(s) and codec(s) are being used? What assets are in the comps? What effects are you using? What scripts have you installed? What expressions are you using? What are the technical specs of the machines? Etc

And, since your issue is entirely unrelated to the audio scrubbing bug, it would probably behoove you to create a new topic rather than tagging on to this, already answered and unrelated, topic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2017 Oct 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This bug is not fixed. I am seeing it for the first time now, Oct. 7, 2017, in AE 2017.2 release, version 14.2.1.34:

Screen Shot 2017-10-07 at 11.36.27 PM.png  Screen Shot 2017-10-07 at 11.39.30 PM.png

Most oddly, I have used every version of AE since 1999 and have never seen this error until today. So when I found this forum and saw most of the discussion was from 2014, it was quite shocking. Even more shocking that it was considered "fixed."

The project I'm working on – the only one where I've ever seen this error – has no audio. It is composed entirely of a layered Illustrator file imported as a composition. I am working on an iMac, OS 10.11.6.

What is the explanation for how the bug could still persist?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines