• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Washed out colors on After Effects when rendering - Using macOS High Sierra

Community Beginner ,
Jan 21, 2018 Jan 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have found an issue that is driving me crazy when rendering any video in After Effects.

I am not sure if it is related to the last version of After Effects (I am using CC 2018), the last version of my Mac Book Pro, which is High Sierra, or both together. The truth is that is has never happened to me before.

When I render a video, no matter which format I choose it renders the video with washed out colours, or as if something had happened with the saturation of the picture.

This is the original illustration inside After Effects :

Screen Shot 2018-01-21 at 15.28.45.png

This is the results when I open the video on QuickTime (or importing the video to Photoshop in order to get the frames apart):

WrongColors.png

Note: thumbnails of Illustrator look the same on my desktop (washed out) + If I open the video in VLC colours are displayed correctly.

There must be something wrong with either CC or Mac.

If someone knows how to solve it, please let me know, I need to deliver a few projects and I haven't managed to find a solution,

Thanks,

TOPICS
Preview

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jan 22, 2018 Jan 22, 2018

After checking the issue I found out something that may be basic knowledge for experienced animators and designers in After Effects. For me is wasn't. And I also didn't find any forum where this issue was approached and explained using simple terms.

What I found is that colors may vary according to the video player as it is shown below (YouTube, QuickTime, VLC):

DifferentColorDIsplay.jpg

It is something I didn't notice when working on Windows, but now that I am working on Mac it is more noticeable to me as the screen is be

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2022 Dec 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you're right and this is what I meant. Always set to none when rendering to avoid washed-out colors. You can always work in any color profile depending on your monitor or other factors, but set it to none for the render.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2023 Jan 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thaks 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 08, 2022 Dec 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wrote few words about how i solved different colors issue AI - AE - Shapes and after render with the help of Adobe Bridge (synchronized colors among all adobe application) and color profile "None" in After Effects: https://community.adobe.com/t5/after-effects-discussions/washed-out-colors-while-import-from-ai-usin...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2023 Mar 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I finally found a solution!!! 

1. Export the after effect without media encoder, with the normal encoder that comes with AE, as a MOV file. 

2. You can convert the mov file with media encoder into a MP4 format if you wish (both files will have the correct same colour correction) - just drag and drop the MOV file into media encoder

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2023 Mar 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone! If you still have this issue on mac, just try to switch "Working color space" in project settings to Apple RGB. This solved my "washed colors" render problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2024 Feb 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried different solutions described here, It's the only one that works! Thanks!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 17, 2023 Mar 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When using High Sierra??  That's like saying I can't drive over 50 miles an hour in my model-T.  Try upgrading to the latest operating system. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2023 Mar 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sir, you're not helping here with a dumb speed-comparison. In some production environments upgrading is not always an option. In fact, upgrading software doesn't always mean that things improve. We have a few projects running where the newer Adober software versions did slow down or even break the workflow. Fortunately we have virtualisation to overcome this.

For one project it turned out that the OS version didn't matter after all. It was again direct version problem of the Adobe software. I've been busy with Adobe Support months ago and they provided us with the older AE versions that were not available directly from the website. We did tests with several versions (v16 up to 17.5). Eventually kept a version 17.5 provided. Same as the designers were using so that the output matched all the previews they made.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 18, 2023 Mar 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wasn't making a SPEED comparison. Adobe does not test for old operating systems. They have enough trouble working on the new ones and getting things to work. Every iteration is supposed to be better than the last. In adobe's case, it rarely is. For pure editing purposes, consider switching to Da Vinci Resolve - its better than Premiere Pro in every possible way, and it doesn't crash and every new version is better than the last. Unfortunely, I still need After Effects & Photoshop. But once again - nothing to do with speed and everything to do with their testing (which they barely do).  But nobody really supports older operating systems and that includes Apple.  For me, the latest version of After Effects works nearly perfectly on Venture. Do you really have the delusion that they test the new versions on High Sierra? If you do than I have a bridge to sell you. LOL.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2023 Mar 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My coworker found this fix, and it worked for me! You have to select 'Preserve RGB' in the render queue before exporting via Media Encoder. Tried it out and no washout! 

1.png

2.png

 

3.png

  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2023 May 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is undoubtedly the right answer to this problem. Works perfectly for me and should be so much easier to apply (maybe already is) on Media Encoder. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 14, 2023 Jun 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Andres007 years later I hop on hahahaa. I discover a solution to this as I constantly struggled as well.

Watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t61b6Nk-YPw&list=PLWrF4Lfea0TihZ22KngXR7-SSZM8xGKAq&index=74&t=223s&...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 26, 2023 Jun 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mov footage - interpret - main - color - color space Preserve RGB check on

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines