• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What is the correct format and codec for proxy files?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 03, 2021 Jun 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to create a proxy file to speed up my workflow in after effects. For example, here is a sample file that I would like to create a proxy file for.

resolution: 2560x1440

duration: 17minutes

bitrate: ~ 100,000 kb/s

container: mp4

codec: h264

framerate: 60fps

size: 11.6GB

additional ffprobe information.

Input #0, mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2, from 'test.mp4':
  Metadata:
    major_brand     : isom
    minor_version   : 512
    compatible_brands: isomiso2avc1mp41
    encoder         : Lavf58.65.101
  Duration: 00:17:29.48, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 94971 kb/s
    Stream #0:0(und): Video: h264 (High) (avc1 / 0x31637661), yuv420p(tv, bt709), 2560x1440 [SAR 1:1 DAR 16:9], 94969 kb/s, 60 fps, 60 tbr, 16k tbn, 120 tbc (default)

Which format and codec should I select in the output module for my proxy settings. I've tried various incorrrect combinations which have either resulted in the proxy itself being larger than the origional file or the proxy taking an abnormal amount of time to render.

System Information: Win 10

TOPICS
Import and export , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Valorous Hero , Jun 03, 2021 Jun 03, 2021

17 minutes is quite a long clip to use entirely in AE. You may be better off trimming the clip in PPro, to just the points you require. Then use DL or a copy from PPro and then a paste into an AE timeline. For proxies, 1/4 to 1/8 of the original pixel resolution/dimension will be a good target. MP4 is fine and a Constant Bitrate of 10Mbps will be OK. HTH

Votes

Translate

Translate
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

17 minutes is quite a long clip to use entirely in AE. You may be better off trimming the clip in PPro, to just the points you require. Then use DL or a copy from PPro and then a paste into an AE timeline. For proxies, 1/4 to 1/8 of the original pixel resolution/dimension will be a good target. MP4 is fine and a Constant Bitrate of 10Mbps will be OK. HTH

Motion Graphics Brand Guidelines & Motion Graphics Responsive Design Toolkits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I will do this. Any idea why Mp4 doesn't show up as a format when trying to make the proxy in AE? It's not really a problem, as I can use AME to make the proxy. Just wondering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Direct MP4 output from AE was removed a long while back because exporting an MP4 from AE was not an efficient method and AME being provided along with AE, was the preferred option. HTH

Motion Graphics Brand Guidelines & Motion Graphics Responsive Design Toolkits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines