• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What is the maximum width for exporting videos through Media Encoder?

New Here ,
Jan 04, 2019 Jan 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In After Effects, the maximum size for a composition is 30,000 px by 30,000 however, what is the maximum size when rendering it through media encoder?

I'm working with a composition that is 22712 px by 1080 px except when I go to set it to render the max. width is 16,376px by 684px under matching source. If I try to manually expand the width to 22712px, the largest I can make the width is 8192px.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 04, 2019 Jan 04, 2019

Maximum size depends on the format. Typically lossless formats have larger frame size limits, an image sequence can be anything you like it to be. There are specifications for all compressed formats like MPEG and MP4 that have nothing to do with the AME.

What are you trying to do with your rendered file? If it is for a multiple display setup then you'll have to check with the folks that are playing back the file. Sometimes the only option is to use a specialized encoder to render the final video.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maximum size depends on the format. Typically lossless formats have larger frame size limits, an image sequence can be anything you like it to be. There are specifications for all compressed formats like MPEG and MP4 that have nothing to do with the AME.

What are you trying to do with your rendered file? If it is for a multiple display setup then you'll have to check with the folks that are playing back the file. Sometimes the only option is to use a specialized encoder to render the final video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The file will be spread across 5 screens. Concerning the specifications for various compressed formats, where would I find those? Also, any tips on what specialized encoder to use? Really appreciate your quick reply!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Rick said about format and most important codec (and exact resolution)  you have to ask tech peope (client) that will play your stuff on those screens. Some media servers will take standard mp4, some proress and some also weird mpg or something even weirder. So first you have to know from what format you can chose from rendering your animation to be playable on those screens.
Then - we will tell you witch one will be best or you get it by yourselve by changing export settings - if codec cant render to more pixels will not let you do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2020 Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello imeilfx, I have the same problem right now. I'm working with a composition that is 22.656px X 72px, except when I set it to render the max. width of 16.384px X 52px under matching source. When I try to expand the width manually, I can't get it right either.

When I export directly from AE (Render List), I can't play the video on Quick Time. It's just a dark (black) screen. I would be very happy if you could help me with any tip.

I have to send it as h264 or proress.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lexi@byerscreative  wrote

The file will be spread across 5 screens.

You'll want to ask the client what (s)he needs.  Multi-screen playback can be with one big files or with many smaller files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 23, 2022 Aug 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thats seems not 100% correct. I use a codec called "DXV" in a mov container. That format can handle more than 16384px but Media Encoder wouldnt let me set it up higher than 16384px. Or do I miss something? Premiere can handle it, After Effects as well, Media Encoder not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Delivery for this kind of thing is client specific but when I work at that resolution most clients want HAP files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines