• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

White solid is not white in OCIO color engine

Community Beginner ,
Apr 12, 2023 Apr 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I make a white solid in the OCIO color space? Currently, the color is not white. It looks almost gray. See my attached screenshots. Both whites are #FFFFFF. 

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have a color management mismatch somewhere. Start by checking the Project Settings (Shift + Alt/Option + Ctrl/Cmnd + K)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hex codes don't mean much. As Rick said already, you have some wrong settings somewhere. since you haven't provided any info about your CM settings we can't tell you more than that.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 13, 2023 Apr 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the quick reply! I'm attaching my project settings. I'm using ACEScg for my working color space because I'm bringing EXR renders in from C4D/Redshift. If I set my working color space to "None". The "Whites" are correct, but all of my renders are wrong. I need to be able to work in ACEScg with my renders and then also be able to comp in graphics with correct "whites". 

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 05, 2023 Oct 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i hope this isn't your full time job, no offence. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 09, 2024 Jan 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jesus christ what an unhelpful comment. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2024 Apr 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Lame comment from useless user. But, no offence.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 19, 2023 Apr 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any Updates on this topic?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 05, 2023 May 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue - I'd love to hear about a solution. Did you solve this on your own @Gawron? If I find one myself, I'll let you know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 18, 2023 May 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having similar issues regarding this. I have noticed that a project in ACES is fine at first (white equals white), then along the way whites become gray. I even havea case where seen two comps in the same ACES ae file act differntly, and they are using the same settings. See attachements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 18, 2023 May 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for all the typos in my previous post. This post includes an AE scene that shows two comps in the same project interpretting white differently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 19, 2023 May 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So as a workaround we need to add an OCIO Color Space Transform either directly to a layer or an adjustment. Set the Input to Output - sRGB and set the Output to ACEScg.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 05, 2023 Oct 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Somone recently just replied to part of this thread & I just noticed your comment. Thanks for sharing this work-around, as it does work. What is crazy is that I didn't have to do this when ACES was 1st released. But eventually the comp would succumb to the problem of whites no longer being white, therefore requiring such a work-around as you suggest. Based on my workflow, not sure I can honestly justify using ACES until AE integrates a better way of integrating ACES. The whole color space arena is full of misunderstandings and perhaps I am a victim of not fully understanding the process myself. Anyway, thanks for the solution!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 22, 2023 May 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey folks,

i ran into the same issue. Here i found the solution:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nVbAJd1R_4&ab_channel=i_go_by_zak

Under: Effects/Color correction you find the OCIO Color Space Transform - Efferct, which imcalledandy

also mentioned. You use this on your rendered footage/passes only and then you turn the pulldown in the viewer to off. 

Before it was for example ACES/sRGB or ACES/Rec.709 for example. This one is only for Preview. If it´s set to a different colorspace, the in After Effects created stuff like for example type, is shown in this colorspace and you can´t get it white. I´m not a native speaker, so i hope you understand what i mean.

Best regards,

Daniel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 01, 2024 Feb 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also confused: New Solid: All the way up to do a white solid, (H:0/S:0/B:100) and then it's even called "light grey"

Why should I have now a color management mismatch?

The workaround with the FX does work nomore (for me?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines