• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why can't I change some keyboard shortcuts in AE 2018?

New Here ,
Jan 15, 2018 Jan 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe needs to make it so all of the keyboard shortcuts can be edited, there is no reason that they should lock certain keyboard shortcuts from being edited. This restricts users from fully customizing their own system of editing.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Valorous Hero , Jan 15, 2018 Jan 15, 2018

This new change makes keyboard customization more accessible to a lot more people. Perhaps you should send in a Feature Request, to request for a way to allow you to map the keyboard shortcuts in the manner which you used to do.

I too like to have frequently used shortcuts closer to the left-side of the keyboard. FWIW, I have ALT+Q and ALT+W to move the CTI one frame back and forward, respectively. I've also got ALT+SHIFT+Q and ALT+SHIFT+W to move the CTI in 10-frame increments, in the directions

Votes

Translate

Translate
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which keys are you trying to use that has been reserved by the application?

These are the keys that have been reserved.

• A
  • AA
  • E
  • EE
  • F
  • FF
  • L
  • LL
  • M,
  • MM
  • P
  • PP
  • R
  • RR
  • S
  • SS
  • T
  • TT
  • U
  • UU

However, you can still these keys in combination with modifier keys. So ... you can do a CTRL+SHIFT+T to, for example, create a New Text Layer.
Here's the official link to the AE's shortcuts - After Effects keyboard shortcuts reference

I've got a PDF that provides TIPs on creating shortcuts for AE as well as a whole bunch of keyboard shortcuts that you may find useful.
http://www.broadcastGEMs.com/mediaStreamer/Roland_AE_KeyboardVisualizer_Shotcuts_PDF_aeks_Preset_Nov...

Motion Graphics Brand Guidelines & Motion Graphics Responsive Design Toolkits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know which keys are reserved and I understand that I can use a modifier key, but I would like to change the reserved ones to whatever I want so I could for example just press R and have it step forward one frame in my comp instead of show Rotation. I don't want to have to press ctr + R or some other key modifier if it is a command that I use a lot. Why limit my ability to edit these keys to whatever I want? I have a setup where I use all the keys that my left hand can reach and change all the keyboard shortcuts to my most used shortcuts  and I have them strategically placed where I can remember them and for ease of use. These reserved keys completely mess up my old system. I guess I will just have to use AE (2017) until I can come up with a new system. So I guess thanks a lot Adobe for this stupid change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This new change makes keyboard customization more accessible to a lot more people. Perhaps you should send in a Feature Request, to request for a way to allow you to map the keyboard shortcuts in the manner which you used to do.

I too like to have frequently used shortcuts closer to the left-side of the keyboard. FWIW, I have ALT+Q and ALT+W to move the CTI one frame back and forward, respectively. I've also got ALT+SHIFT+Q and ALT+SHIFT+W to move the CTI in 10-frame increments, in the directions stated earlier.

Motion Graphics Brand Guidelines & Motion Graphics Responsive Design Toolkits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines