• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why does After Effects affect other programs negatively?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 01, 2022 Jun 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a filmmaker who uses the program Davinci Resolve initially because I had too many problems with Premiere not behaving well on my computer, crashing, hanging up, etc.

Davinci works excellent, but I still use After Effects and Audition.

Here's the thing, in November of last year, I realized that once I installed After Effects, it would make DaVinci pinwheel to an insane degree. Trust me; I tried clearing the cache and all of that. It wasn't until I removed After Effects from my computer that the problem went away.

Fast forward to now. I've been editing big projects on my Mac since, and I needed After Effects again. I installed it, and then suddenly, I started seeing pinwheels constantly. I completely forgot about the issue until I googled it and stumbled upon my own thread from November seeking help on this very issue.

Why is this happening? Why can't two programs live on my computer in harmony? I'm pointing the finger at Adobe here because I've had many issues with Adobe products on my Mac over the years and never once with Resolve. Even with the creative cloud app, I have to close and reopen many times just to load the apps page. What gives? Photo of that here.

Computer:

Mac Pro 2019 tower

OS Monterey 12.3.1 (21E258)

RAM 768 GB 2933 MHz DDR4

Processor 3.2 GHz 16-Core Intel Xeon W

Graphics AMD Radeon Pro Vega II 32 GB

Software:

After Effects

DaVinci Resolve 17

TOPICS
Error or problem , Freeze or hang , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I run Resolve and all the major Adobe CC applications on a similar Mac Pro with no issues.  (Except I have 128GB of RAM - Do you really have 768GB of RAM???)

Resolve relies heavily on the GPU, so it may be worthwhile turning off all GPU acceleration in AE.  

But personally, I'd do a clean install of your system drive, or use a seperate boot drive as a temporary system drive, then install Adobe CC apps first up and verify they are working properly.  Once verified, install Resolve and see if anything changes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2022 Jun 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I have that much ram haha

I'll try turning off the GPU acceleration.

I just uninstalled CC and now everything is fine in Resolve. I'm going to temporarily run it off my laptop so I can finish my edit for work deadline.

Thanks for the tips!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One could easily ask, "Why is Resolve negatively affected by other apps"?  🙂
Sd the issue arises in Resolve, it will also be prudent that you post your issue on their site - they may have insights or even a solution. HTH

Motion Graphics Brand Guidelines & Motion Graphics Responsive Design Toolkits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will post there as well but I wanted to state that even when I just have CC installed the CC app is super buggy, slow to load, if it even loads half the time and I need to constantly restart it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Definitely a case of too much RAM!!! I'll kindly swap you my 64GB for your 768GB.  
😄

On a serious note, I suggest you get in touch with Customer Support to do a Remote Session. There may me a driver/app/script/extension/tooMuchRAM issue that they may be able to resolve.

Motion Graphics Brand Guidelines & Motion Graphics Responsive Design Toolkits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines