• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Workaround for importing 3D files in CS6?

Apr 16, 2012 Apr 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One of my favorite features in AE CS5.5 is the ability to import 3D files created in one of my 3D programs without plugins. Basically, I just import my 3D model into Photoshop and save it as a PSD, then import the PSD file into AE. This is the ONLY way to import 3D files into AE without having to buy plug-ins, etc, since AE doesn't accept the most common 3D file types. However, everything I've read is that Adobe is eliminating this. Does anyone know how Adobe is going to address this problem in CS6?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 09, 2012 Jun 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know, I'm just discussing the hypothetical benefits of adding 3D model import

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jun 09, 2012 Jun 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

superchuckinator wrote:

...adding them to after effects would save me from having to shell out money for plugins

See what Rick and Mylenium said: spend some time on learning Blender so as to avoid spending some money on plug-ins...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 26, 2012 Jul 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Chuckinator ...   Looks like you are trying to get the best out of 3d and video FX  ....   To put it as simple as possible ... Learn the major 3d programs, modeling and sculpting programs and as well keep up on adobe products  ...  If you want to do this for a living then every bit you can learn will help your career. I swear I have learned 10 programs or more in the last 2 or 3 years ... I started in basic graphics 20 years ago now I model and sculpt in zbrush, 3ds max, maya ... have not gotten to C4d yet but will not be a long strectch from where I am at. Blender is the cheap alternative to these also as  well and I model in that too....    In this industry your workflow will contain many tools in the tool box and always a newer blade to play with. Shortcuts can be considered with  Time + Quality + Ease of Use + Money somewhere your workflow will lead you to this and always go for the best quality possible and be sure to leave your self plenty  time and money to achieve the best quality. As they say you have to spend money to make money.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 31, 2012 Jul 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While some of these answers are interesting and say just get a 3d software. Well thats all good and all. EVEN with a 3d program all your problems are not solved.

You will always need to bring in your obj or texture to "FIX" in comp. That AE is stopping this progress is just silly.

The rendering time it takes to fix or address an issue, rendering times in 3d can be extremely long, where as it can easily be resolved in comp. Using UV or normals as a texutre  is a better solution.

Dont market a product that can only go half the distance, and then demo and create videos stating it can do 3d when in fact it can struggles along to do half of what CS5 did. DONT blame Photoshop not being compatible with CS6 THAT is just ridicolous and overall bad business. To state Photoshop is your go to solutions, that AE CS6 is unable to do on its own. CS6 requires plugin where as before it didnt is just bad marketing and bad business.  All its doing is stating it cant figure out its own RD and its making third party responsible for its lack of development. Sad.

Abode products in the end are a low end tool for both film and television - however most companies us it as a start up. Since its so low in price point.

If AE wants to compete - then they need to pick up there game and follow along with Nuke - or heaven forbid Digital Fusion for their intergation of 3d into composting package

Considering most of the higher end compositing packages offers this, and AE did and now does not. Seems a drastic step down in it pipeline development for any studio

trying to implement or upgrade. To rely on a 3 party to resolve Abode incompatibly when it sells itself on this seems silly.

In the end Bad Marketing on CS6 part, claiming to resolve issues when in fact they made matters worse for 3d compositing in there own software..nice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 11, 2012 Jul 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I remember at the CS6 Roadshow, did they not import a full 3D model via 3DS Max or am I just crazy? Anyway, let's find out exactly how to do that because everything I'm doing right now to make AE work with 3D Models is failing me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Videocopilot.net have finally released Element 3D.  It's without doubt the most impressive looking 3D engine I've seen working within After Effects.  Speed-wise, it's incredible, if you have a decent GPU.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AE CS6 will not import 3D models, unless you use Element 3D  from Video Copilot.. And it has limitations. I remember hearing at one point AE could import Photoshop 3D objects, but it doent do that anymore.

I have no knowledge of any workflow with 3D Studio Max.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also ... the Zaxwerks plugin as far as I know only imports Illustrator files and extrudes them /...  kind of cool but has some major limitations.  For example I saved project then crashed ae 6 and when I opened it up again I no longer am in zaxwerks ... but I still have the model I can only manipulate with the camera ... so there is a ways to go ...  As you can also use primitives in Zaxwerks minor models are possible but leave much to be desired ...  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK there is a plugin to import from 3ds max to AE and it is created by Boomer Labs ... google search for it the  plugins called MaxtoAE LOL simple enough ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 21, 2013 Mar 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there i need help.

I import a .dae file to photoshop cs6 and i dsave it as .psd.Then i import it in AE CS6 as a composition - crop layers enabling the LIVE 3D.

SO i have a 3d image of a stadium which is getting imported in the composition but also i have one same image (smaller one) next to the original size image.

That means that instead of having one image i get two.

Propably i do something wrong during the import and i need to know all the correct steps.

Thank you

Lampros

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 13, 2013 Jun 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This explains why I can't find anyhelp about importing 3D models in CS6.... Because CS6 doesn't support it....... Really don't see any point in the 3D tracking if I can't import my .obj file.....  Wasted Potenial....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines