• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Workflow Question - Working With Multiple Entirely Different Shots/Compositions, how to organise?

Explorer ,
May 24, 2024 May 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Say im working on a one project with multiple entirley different graphical shots, I generally like to keep all of those shots in one AE project for ease, everytime I start on a brand new shot, I create a folder and create the comps/pre comps (i label them with the prefix [pre] for precomp and [master] for the top layer comp, not sure if this is the best way to orgnaise either) within that folder, and repeat for all shot i have to work on, is this normal practice or is there a more industry standard way im missing? Thanks!

TOPICS
How to , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 24, 2024 May 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I still use the same naming/organizing/labeling structure for all of my productions, from the slate at the head of a shot to the file name of any assets I learned when I started editing movies about 54 years ago. We labeled shots in the clip bin with white tape based on the slate info, and the slate was based on the project/date/scene and take. The naming structure starts with the project's start date, the project's name (or abbreviated name), and the section details at the Folder level. The assets (footage, artwork, etc.) in that folder are named with a shortened code for that project and folder, and the renders use that same code plus a take or version number. 

When you work with a team, everyone should use the same project/shot/take (or version) organizing structure so assets don't get lost. I suggest that you create a document that outlines everything and ensures that all of your projects follow the same structure. Think of your projects as if they were paper documents in a file cabinet. If you are well organized from the start, anyone digging through the project later should be able to find anything they need with just a few clicks. Most of my freelance editing projects that come from large production companies include a document that sets up their naming structure. If they don't, I always send a document explaining how the assets and the files are named and organized to the client to keep us out of the weeds later in the production. Things can get really messy very quickly if you don't have a published system.

Maybe I should do a tutorial on that. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines