• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Working with AE and Sharepoint

Contributor ,
Jan 27, 2022 Jan 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using Dropbox for the past 10 years, quite successfully, to work collaboratively on Adobe AE projects. Our company was acquired and the new management wants everyone on Sharepoint. Nevermind the TB of data we have to migrate... I'm worried that filepaths in Adobe CC are going to have lots of syncing issues under this new system. I haven't found very much positive information about trying to use Sharepoint as a file repository for Adobe projects, but is there some hard evidence I can use to support my argument to remain on Dropbox? 

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 28, 2022 Jan 28, 2022

Entirely depends on how robust the Sharepoint implementation is. I've seen good ones and bad ones. Most companies underestimate the processing power needed to manage it - lots of storage running on a weak server. And then there's a ton of other questions like how the virtual memory spaces are isolated from each other, how much activity there is in general and whatnot. You probably would have to talk to IT directly or hire a certified consultant to have that all answered, even more so since a lot

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jan 28, 2022 Jan 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Entirely depends on how robust the Sharepoint implementation is. I've seen good ones and bad ones. Most companies underestimate the processing power needed to manage it - lots of storage running on a weak server. And then there's a ton of other questions like how the virtual memory spaces are isolated from each other, how much activity there is in general and whatnot. You probably would have to talk to IT directly or hire a certified consultant to have that all answered, even more so since a lot of things have changed recently with MS trying to push their own cloud services and integrate them. Per se there's no argument against SP, though.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Mylenium! 

One of my primary concerns is with the way Adobe tracks filepaths for "linked" files in a project. Our organization does some significant "URL encrypting", blocks external file sharing, etc. And they want me to get out of the way and just press a "migrate" button and port over 10 years worth of projects to Sharepoint.

I appreciate your quick thoughts on this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Custom URLs can be enabled/ allowed via group policies and I don't see a problem if the sharing is handled via a custom user account. Since these days SP users are just normal users of the domain controller and no longer a specific sub-set like in older versions, creating a user with guest privileges and instating a custom folder into which all assets to be shared are dropped should sufficiently do the trick, give or take specific authentication procedures you may have in place. Since it's all Windows native file paths, you should not have any issues beyond the usual occasional relink/ replace footage. SP does all the hard work for you, no matter how obscure the underlying URIs and virtual file paths.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Good to know, thanks! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines