• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Write-on Effect (not for text)

Explorer ,
Jan 12, 2018 Jan 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!  I am having all sorts of odd problems using the write-on effect on a shape layer.  First of all, the transform controls do not seem to be working, and I cannot seem to open just the layer so that I can control my strokes.  Anybody have some thoughts?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Valorous Hero , Jan 12, 2018 Jan 12, 2018

Use a Solid anytime you want to apply an Effect>Generate effect. Shape Layers as Mylenium has alluded to is intended for other stuff and it has its own idiosyncrasies which does not make it suitable for applying effects under the Generate Section.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shape layers have no source item. They are generated dynamically and defined by their contents, hence there is no separate layer view. you would have to pre-compose to that effect. The transform issue is a different matter, but you have not provided enough info to even begin making sense of it. Still, my initial instinct would be that you are not aware of the special nature of shape layers here, too and perhaps need to drill into the actual shape item groups rather than trying to use the global layer transform.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I didn't realize I could apply the write-on effect to solid layers, and that solves my primary questions!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're new, then it's best to stick to one instance of Write-on, for each Solid. Take note that the Write-on effect has a Paint Style property. The Paint Style property is super important for layering the effect on top of other effects or layers. Select the appropriate parameter from its drop menu to suit your needs.

Motion Graphics Brand Guidelines & Motion Graphics Responsive Design Toolkits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The paint style property stacking order is what is giving me trouble.  I would like the stroke color (color picker) to be the color chosen, and for this stroke to be on a transparent background so that I can see other Solid layers (with more write-ons).  Do you know the proper stacking orders?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For example... On Transparent (1st)

On Original (last)   allows us to see another image behind.

How to I get rid of the solid color?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay... I got it, first write is on Transparent and the following write ons need to be "on Original"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great! BTW, Write-on is the only tool built into AE where you can adjust the Brush Size (and hardness) and Color over time. So ... you can have different colors over your Write-on path/stroke and the size of the Write-on path/stroke can be varied over time. You'll find these related properties in the Brush and Paint Time properties.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is exactly why I use it... I only wish I could figure out how to see the whole "drawing" of the write on path... I am now using pasted masks to create write on paths, for now...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I only wish I could figure out how to see the whole "drawing" of the write on path

as M suggested, precomp the shape layer and you will have a layer window when you Alt+Click twice on the layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, guys... since you are so helpful... new issue.  So I am making masks and then copy/pasting them into write-on... this seems like the easiest method for me, for the moment, with most control.  It is just a little annoying.  I have 40 masks (and will probably have a trillion more later) that I now need to paste in and would looove to be able to control the duration of the mask when it is converted into keyframes for the write on brush position.  Anyone know how to control this default setting?  Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pasting a Mask Path or a Shape Layer Path on the Transform>Position or Effect>Position properties will always result in a 2-second animation for the targeted property — regardless of how simple or complex the source path may be. To change the duration of this animation, you select either all the KFs (keyframes) and then hold down the ALT/Option key while you drag either the last or the first KF; depending on whether you want to anchor, in time, the first or last KF as you perform the procedure. BTW, this procedure is called Time Stretching KFs. Amazingly, not many know what this procedure is called even though they invoke said procedure quite frequently - Time Stretching Keyframes is a common task when one has to re-time an animation.

Lastly, you may want to look at using the Stroke effect as it has a feature to stroke multiple masks either simultaneously or sequentially  — with lots of masks, it may not be wise to use Write-on since it takes much longer to set up and the cool features you aim to use may be lost once everything is in place. So, keep this in mind before you venture further.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is new to me.  I am checking it out now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is like trim paths (but easier!) but I lose the ability to have changes in my line (as you mentioned before).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Stroke effect reads your Mask Path. You can edit your Mask Path at any time and the Stroke Effect will update accordingly. Additionally, you can also animate your Mask Path and the Stroke Effect will update, and stroke the animated Mask Path.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2019 Jan 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have a personal signature that was captured into a PSD layer. I wanted to apply the Write On effects to it but I can't get it to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use a Solid anytime you want to apply an Effect>Generate effect. Shape Layers as Mylenium has alluded to is intended for other stuff and it has its own idiosyncrasies which does not make it suitable for applying effects under the Generate Section.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is it, thank you!  Now I am just having problems seeing each write on separately for precision... I see all the write-ons together.  Also do you understand the stacking order?  I keep getting entangled.  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Roei, it's a waste of time to preComp the Shape Layer just to get into the Layer Panel. Using a Solid is much more efficient.

To view Position Paths of effects, you have to load (double-click on a Layer which is not Continually Rasterized) into the Layer Panel. Once you're in the Layer Panel, the View Menu at the bottom will allow you to select which property to view. When you select Write-on, you will see its Position Path. You can now manipulate this path as you do with a normal Position/Motion Path.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Roland. nice to see you here more BTW get that points equalizer higher and higher.

precomping takes 2 seconds. you can work on a solid, but you will lose context of the original layer you want to write on or reveal. you could open a 2 windows setup but you will lack interacticity. if you want to "see" the motion path of the effect and see the layer in the same window, precomping doesn't seem too much of a hassle.

*Edit: multiple instances of write-on is tricky but possible. you could leave all to "on original image" and it will be fine of course, but if you want reveal, you should leave the first instance to "on transparent" and all others to "on original image" and use this as the matte for your shape layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Roei, I believe the user is only using the Shape Layer as her 'canvas' for the Write-on effect and not as a source for a 'reveal effect'. Also, getting into the Layer Panel is very useful for directly manipulating Spatial Keyframes - of course you have to ensure that the Pen Tool's Rotobezier optioni is turned off! Otherwise, you will only be able to manipulate the Spatial Keyframes with Rotobezier points and not the standard Bezier points - do you recall this issue/bug? 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hard to keep track of them bugs. not terribly painful this one though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is so essential.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 16, 2018 Jan 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys.  I have a new problem!  So... I have been creating write-on strokes, as we talked about before.  Now I have several that I really like and I want to copy/paste them to another spot (I will be doing this a lot, for a dense image).  So here's the problem... since I am creating a vein like structure, the write-on that I am copy/pasting and transforming  has a beginning (where it leaves the image... the rectangle of the frame)... when I copy/paste it somewhere else, this frame remains even though I may be in the middle of the image.   Even if I make the write-on path outside of it (which I can, of course, do) there is no stroke because the program reads it as being outside the bounds of the frame.  Can you understand my problem?    Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines