• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Multiple file relink

Explorer ,
Apr 24, 2023 Apr 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sure this has been posted before on here, but for visibility and emphasis how does AE not have a relinking system like Premiere after 10+ years?? I'm working on a particular project where despite all the assets being scattered across mutliple folders on a server, AE insists as relinking one by one. Most times I don't have this issue as it finds them on it's own, but for whatever reason it's going very slow, manually relinking file by file. This is on a collected project. 

Regardless of the reason or situation, it wouldn't be an issue if we had a relinking system like Premiere's file manager for footage. Is there some technical reason Adobe hasn't addressed or improved such an important function on large AE projects after a decade??

Idea No status
TOPICS
Workflow

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
7 Comments
Community Expert ,
Apr 25, 2023 Apr 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is Collect Source Files accidentally set to "None (Project Only)"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 27, 2023 Apr 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Double checked this again today and no, is set to All for collecting files. The collected file and folder are obviously moved over to a different machine where all the links sit in the singular "Footage" folder AE makes obviously, that seems to be where it gets hung up when bringing that project file back to the server and it prompts to link file by file since they're not in one big collected folder anymore. 

Maybe that makes sense technically but I swore AE could search roots or something like Premiere to find associated files within a root (server) folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 05, 2023 Jul 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These are the things I dont get about the CC apps.
What is the reason for Premiere having a perfectly fine re-linking system for 100s of files at a time and AE is just missing this function? I just don't see it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jul 05, 2023 Jul 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@hunterh63283602 

Try collecting to local storage, opening the resulting project file to check links, and then copy it to the server.

That's always worked well for me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 27, 2023 Nov 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Collecting to local storage is a good idea, unless you don't have an extra 200GB of room to collect to for giggles on C:, lol. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 23, 2024 May 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Been running into this issue today, no idea why the relink system in After Effects is so pathetic given Premiere works fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
May 26, 2024 May 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Are you expecting Adobe to do anything that makes basic sense? 

Votes

Translate

Translate