• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text expression control

LEGEND ,
Sep 28, 2022 Sep 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd love to see a "Text control" option for expression effects, where it would add a blank text box in the effects panel that a user could enter text in to be used in expressions, along with properties for text layers for things like font, alignment, leading, etc. that could be controlled via scripting.
Idea No status
TOPICS
UI and UX

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
9 Comments
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not to be confused with the similar "Text expression control".

I just want an expression control that is a string.

Currently whenever we want to use a string like this we have to shove it into a textlayer and then it's textLayer.text.value.text or something because a textLayer value is a textDocument which has all the text attributes and whatnot

I just want a string. A simple character array.

Would simplify this textlayer workflow massively.

it doesn't even have to be editable in the effects panel (IMO, though I'm sure people would ask for it eventually)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this is extra important with Master Comps, since the only way to edit text setup in them is to right click and hit edit text, and use the dialog box, which is rather slow/tedious.

Right now I just setup text to pull from the name of the comp with an expression, so it's quicker to version, but that's still not ideal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Similar to a slider controller, and injunction with essential graphic elements, I hope that someday we'll have a text box (similar to an HTML textarea) as an effect to be able to edit essential graphic source text with ease. It's already pretty busy with keyframes and layers below, it become more of a hassle to have to manage titles for text animations in the composition as it is currently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I would suggest a new feature in Expression controls.

My suggestion is to add a txt string box.

A Txt string box would be useful when you have several
different Suffixed finishes.

Example: ["", "%", "€", "million €", "billion €", "000 €", "000 000 €", "$", "million $", "billion $ "," 000 $ "," 000 000 $ "," ₣ "," mil. ₣ "," billion ₣ "," ° C "].

I am currently writing them in arey.
When you add a new entry you have to change the arey and the structure of the script.

It would be very easy to have an input field for txt as Expression controls that would link it to the script and you could write what you need into it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As the Checkbox/Color/Slider/Etc…Controls, it would great to have a simple String Control that could be added to any layer and which allow us to set/get string into it (JSON for exemple, FilePath and many more)
That could be really useful for expressions and scripts without having to use textLayer for that. Thank You…

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 09, 2023 Apr 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once again, it will be great to have a Text Control (simple String) into the Expression Controls that can be added as an Effect to a (Null) Layer (so to the Essential Graphics Panel too) to be able to manipulate String objects without having to create Text Layers instead. As we do it for Numbers and Boolean with Sliders and Checkbox Control. It could also be very useful in Expression and Scripts and EG. In fact, be able to create a kind of JSON structure (with String, Numbers, Booleans and Arrays) as Effects into a single Null Layer. Hope i'm clear... Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Apr 16, 2023 Apr 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is how I would see it: in the menu Layer / New there would be the possibility to create a layer of type txt, csv, tsv and json. This layer would have a source in the project as for the Solids. When you double click on this layer or footage, the Footage panel or the Layer panel becomes a code editor. This layer works like the data files you import, but it can be edited directly in After Effects. This data would remain saved in the project but it could also be generated as a separate file and linked to the project.

These features would also apply to the data files that are imported. The data would be copied into the project file and could be modified and synchronised with the external file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 24, 2023 Apr 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why was I removed as the author of this post? Is it a privacy issue or something? It would be nice to have some sort of credit for it but looks like they don't want to give me credit?? Please explain.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 24, 2023 Apr 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@jkmgz Thank you for submitting a feature request. Your idea here was merged with an existing request for the same feature (a text field effect control). Your original post is now a reply under this thread to keep the discussion on this request in a single location. Please let us know if you feel like your request was incorrectly grouped with the others in this thread and what differentiates it.

Thanks again for creating a feature request,

- John, After Effects Engineering Team 

Votes

Translate

Translate