Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Turn Off Scroll Wheel Zooming

Feb 10, 2010 Feb 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to turn off the scroll wheel zooming in After Effects. If I am looking at a Comp window and I scroll with my mouse, the view zooms in or out. I don't want to do this, especially because I have a Magic Mouse and any stray movement suddenly zooms my window. It's a realy problem. Can I turn this "feature" off?

iMac i7 running Mac OS X 10.6.2

Idea No status

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
94 Comments
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2017 Jan 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is NO WAY you can tell me that the software adobe writes that interprets what to do with the touch scroll info it gets cannot put an off switch toggle on that input in its preferences. Just another cop out to explain why Adobe doesn't do its job.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 09, 2017 Jan 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem here, its really disturbing try to work in AE without make zoom for mistake. I cant understand why this problem still have any solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 23, 2017 May 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this annoyed me to but there is a simple fix that works and hasn't affected anything else for me watch this - you basically use stacked panels in your composition Stop The Magic Mouse Zoom in Adobe After Effects - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 04, 2017 Sep 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a hack I found. This should work

Stop The Magic Mouse Zoom in Adobe After Effects - YouTube

"Stacked layer panels" in the hamburger menu of your composition.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 13, 2017 Sep 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the fix I was looking for. It should be pinned at the top.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THIS is the real answer to this problem. It's amazing to me how sidetracked everyone got by complaining about this as a Mac vs PC debate, when it has NOTHING to do with what OS you're using. The issue happens on both Windows and Mac.

Changing the panel type to stacked panel group prevents the scroll wheel from zooming into the image.

BOOM! DONE! Now stop complaining and talking past each other, people!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Attention: this is NOT just a Mac/Magic Mouse issue. How do we remove this ridiculous answer as being the "correct" answer and replace it with the correct answer found deep on page 2...?

ANSWER: switch the panel view to stacked group which will prevent the comp view window from zooming with the scroll wheel!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 26, 2017 Oct 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Switching panel view to stacked group is not working in AE 2018. Anyone know of another way to prevent this behavior in AE? It makes working very unproductive. I have to recenter my view constantly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 05, 2018 May 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey... I posted a feature request. Maybe if everyone votes on it, it'll get some attention.

Please make scroll to zoom (especially in the Comp window) dependent on a modifier key. – Adobe vide...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 31, 2020 Mar 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem in another APP.  The IKEA Kitchen Planner, same exact problem.  Tried 3 different browsers. I think safari is the worst. Anyway, my only work around is to turn off scrolling completely when I am using the web app. 

System Preferences - Accesibility - Pointer Control - Mouse Options - Uncheck > Scrolling.  Don't worry you won't forget to turn it back on... This completely disables any scroll/zoom action with the Magic Mouse.  Also, scrolling through the Accesibility Settings Pane is a little weird after you do this,  just hold down the mouse button on a selection and move the whole mouse up or down, the selection changes and the list scrolls.

Also, my memory was, at one point, you could have app specific settings within the "MacOS X" Pref Settings.  I remember having this problem in the past and was able to fix it, that time was a maps web app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Dec 03, 2020 Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's not very helpful. And I haven't found a decent USB mouse yet. I've got a Razer on my other PC, and it's far less pleasant to use than the Magic Mouse. Surely adding a user option to at least disable scroll wheel zoom (and the scrolling over tabs) would not be a crazy thing to ask for?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 16, 2022 Sep 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How is this still a problem 12 years and counting after this was posted? I don't want to zoom with the mouse. I'm sure others do, but why do I have to live with a broken interface with the way I use it. I'd like to turn mouse zooming off. It is a constant frustration and hindrance. Over entire time, how much time have I lost to having to fix the zoom OVER AND OVER AND OVER?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 02, 2022 Oct 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GOOD LORD ADOBE. 14 YEARS. 14 YEARS AND YOU STILL JUST WONT FIX THESE PROBLEMS!!!! 14 YEARS!!!!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 02, 2022 Oct 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe claims this is "hard-coded and intended behavior", but we all know better that things like this are just bugs they don't feel like fixing. Here is a workaround that actually works because this is a BUG. No idea why:
COPIED FROM EARLIER POST IN THIS THREAD:

FIX!

Been putting up with this issue/bug for years now and I think I've just accidentally stumbled upon a workaround - If you go to the hamburger dropdown menu in the comp window then go to 'panel group settings' then check the option 'stacked panel group' then the window doesn't scroll from the mousewheel / magic mouse swipes! And you can now just use , and . to zoom in/out as you usually would. I'm not exactly familiar with the 'stacked panel' layout option so this may have some unintended behaviours in the comp window but it's definitely working as a fix for the annoying scrolling issue for me.

Not sure why this option would remove this function exactly? But anyway, hope this works for anyone else out there that's been dealing with this annoying issue for so long!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Nov 07, 2023 Nov 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In both Photoshop and Illustrator apps there are options to disable this feature:

• Photoshop (Mac):  Photoshop → Preferences → Tools → Zoom with Scroll Wheel
  • Illustrator (Mac): Illustrator → Prefereces → General → Zoom with Mouse Wheel

Screen Shot 2023-11-08 at 04.23.12.png

Please, make a similar option for the AE as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Nov 23, 2023 Nov 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You shouldn't pay anything else except the money you're already paying for their subscription

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 28, 2023 Nov 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do disable Magic Mouse Zoom in Adobe After Effects, it's now heading into 2024 and it's still a thing.

Come on people it has to be a simple fix!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Nov 28, 2023 Nov 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@mickpeninsulaTV , Adobe isn't a client-oriented company. They just don't care about their users' experience. I used to complain about Apple, stating that they don't listen to their customers, but compared to Adobe, they are angels!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 20, 2024 Jan 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Let me be the first to say that this is still a thing in 2024. I was sure it was just me--how sad to find out it's been a problem for so many for so long. Please provide a way to turn off the zoom when attempting to scroll with the Magic Mouse.

Votes

Translate

Translate