Highlighted

Can't find fill and stroke

Participant ,
Mar 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm an absolute beginner with AE so I apologize if this is a silly question, I don't find these items as showed in the screenshot. I tried clicking on some panel in the window menu but I didn't find them.

AE CC 2015

Win 7

Risorsa 1.jpg

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Gutterfish | Adobe Community Professional

You have a solid selected in the layer panel.  Deselect that layer.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Can't find fill and stroke

Participant ,
Mar 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm an absolute beginner with AE so I apologize if this is a silly question, I don't find these items as showed in the screenshot. I tried clicking on some panel in the window menu but I didn't find them.

AE CC 2015

Win 7

Risorsa 1.jpg

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Gutterfish | Adobe Community Professional

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Mar 17, 2018 1
Most Valuable Participant ,
Mar 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those are contextual tool options that only appear with shape layers. You have to select the shape tool first. I would suggest you bother to at least read up on some basics. Blindly diving into AE is not going to get you anywhere.

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 17, 2018 0
Participant ,
Mar 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're right indeed I apologize because I forgot to mention one important thing i.e. contextual tool options don't appears despite I selected the shape tool first.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 17, 2018 0
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a decently advanced animator and had to look this up. Not everyone learns every little thing from the start, or sometimes don't ever run into the issue at all. No need to assume they're a beginner. This is a forum for people of all skill levels.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 30, 2020 1
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good point @jshier. I'm relatively new to Animate/Flash, but I've worked with Illustrator and Photoshop for years. 

Even for me it is a bit confusing since Illustrator's Selection tool allows you to interact with the stroke property, while Animate requires a Shape tool to be selected to interact with the stroke property.

I'd hate to be berated for not knowing this 😞

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 17, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Apr 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This forum is for Adobe users to learn and also to find help for what sometimes can be the littlest things that even an experienced user can overlook or forget.  People who throw rocks shouln't live in glass houses.

I would bet that you are not someone that knows everything, never hits a snag, never overlooks simple things, or has thoroughly read and digested every nuance of every Adobe program.

Be kind and try to be helpful to others.  Although I have a pretty good command of several of the Adobe programs I have consulted these forums and at times discovered another way of doing something that I had not thought about.

Putting people down is not helpful. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 14, 2020 1
Participant ,
Mar 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I forgot to mention one important thing,  these options don't appears despite I selected the shape tool first.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 17, 2018 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Mar 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Show a full screenshot

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 17, 2018 0
Participant ,
Mar 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure, this is my screen, as you can see tool selected, nothing appears.ae2.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 17, 2018 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 17, 2018 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have a non-shape layer selected the shape tools draw masks, not shapes, and the fill and stroke are not available for masks.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 17, 2018 0
New Here ,
Aug 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Late to the game but I was having this problem too and found that the reason these otions didn't come up when I selected the shape layer was because I had another tool selected.  I had the Pan Behind Tool selected and it wasn't until I went back to the default tool (arrow) that these otions came up at the top like they're supposed to.

Hope this helps someone down the line.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 03, 2020 0