Highlighted

Reverse pasted path direction?

Explorer ,
Mar 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got a path on a Shape layer and I'm copying that path into the Position of another layer (so I can animate that layer along the path).

But I need to reverse the direction that the pasted position travels.

So instead of the object moving left to right, I need right to left.

I tried changing the "Reverse Path Direction" parameter on the path before copy/pasting, but that didn't seem to do anything.

2015 CC

selected all key > right click>keyframe assistant>Time-reverse keyframe

Topics

How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Reverse pasted path direction?

Explorer ,
Mar 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got a path on a Shape layer and I'm copying that path into the Position of another layer (so I can animate that layer along the path).

But I need to reverse the direction that the pasted position travels.

So instead of the object moving left to right, I need right to left.

I tried changing the "Reverse Path Direction" parameter on the path before copy/pasting, but that didn't seem to do anything.

2015 CC

Topics

How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Most Valuable Participant ,
Mar 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select the point you want to be the first, right-click, choose Mask and Shape Path --> Set First Vertex

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I do that, it changes my path.

In the attached screenshot, the first "hook" path is the original and the second is after I click the first point and "Set First Vertex"

https://img.skitch.com/20120322-r9wmrpbk29fg3wx59542fk28ij.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you made sure the path is actually treated as a nopen path. Check that by once more referring to the menu I mentioned...

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm pretty sure it is (see attached image). If I click "Closed" from the menu, then it closes the path...so I assume that it's open based on the menu.

https://img.skitch.com/20120322-kh9cqp1272w4mptjtut73adsjp.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually I was thinking in wrong terms here. AE doesn't actualyl reverse the direction at all. Still, there's hope: http://aescripts.com/reversemaskpath/

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm, that only works on mask paths (I'm using Shape Layers). Though seems I might have to conver these to masks if I want it to work...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't see your screen shot for some reason.  Have tried using the Teme-Reverse Keyframes command?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This a CC wide problem of Adobe not treating vector graphics in the way other hardcore vector graphics software does. Every Path has to have a direction in which it's drawn, and all vector aware software should be able to change the direction. In Ai its confusing to have both path direction (which seems to be exclusive for Ai and doe not effect pasted masks as you have discovered), and a Odd/Even fill option (called Fill Toggle in classic computer graphics terminology). A compound path should make use of the directions to decide whether a path results in a Fill or a 'Hole'.

I remember that in early versions of Ae ther was an option to change the direction of paths, but maybe that's not true. Let's request Adobe to (re)introduce the possibility!

featurerequests: Please make it possible to change the direction of a Mask Path in After Effects

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, it's a long-needed feature.

However, here's a quick workaround when using Illustrator to edit the path: By connecting the two endpoints of a path, cutting the new line and deleting the two endpoints at the cut, somehow the path direction has changed. I then copy to AE and the path is being drawn in the correct direction.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2015 CC

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gin1211 wrote:

2015 CC

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

script for mask only ReverseMaskPath - aescripts.com

If u want to reverse path then

reverse path.JPG

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're designing your shape in illustrator, you can use the mirror tool to change the direction of the path.
If you're doing everything in Ae, I suggest you copy-paste in Ai, do the thing and paste back in Ae.

That fixed it for me when trying to morph two shapes that wouldn't behave properly.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines