• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Shadow glitch with CC 2019 update

Community Beginner ,
Oct 31, 2018 Oct 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After updating to After Effects CC 2019, I noticed issues with my shadows as well as performance. There seems to be grainy noise when I have more than one layer casting shadows on my floor layer. Moving each layer along the Z plane to offset them seemed to help a little bit but when I checked, this is not an issue in CC 2018 so I'm wondering why now. It also causes my computer to crash periodically when I try to preview the problem areas.

Shadow glitch.PNG

The scene is set up with 5 3d layers (4 text, 1 logo animation precomp), stack up above a white 3d floor layer. The point light is above and slightly behind to cast a shadow forward. There is a 2d background layer at the bottom of the comp.

I am using the classic 3d renderer, so no layers are extruded.

Setup.PNG

My specs are:

Video card - Geforce GTX 780 with 6GB vram

Specs.PNG

These are my questions:

1. Is anyone else experiencing this? (Specifically with a different video card.)
  2. Does anyone know how to fix it? (I am going back to CC 2018 to finish the project but would like to take advantage of updates in the future.)
  3. Adobe, has this been discovered as a know issue and will it be fixed or am I nearing the end of my hardware's life? (I can provide all hardware specs if necessary.)

Message was edited by: Joel York

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Dec 11, 2018 Dec 11, 2018

This bug was fixed in the December 2018 release of After Effects CC (version 16.0.1). You can install this release via the Creative Cloud desktop application.

A list of bugs fixed in After Effects 16.0.1 can be found here: https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/kb/fixed-issues.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2018 Nov 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the SAME issue in InDesign CC 2019! Trying to overlay text that has a drop shadow on top of an image, then the image becomes faded/grainy as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 15, 2018 Nov 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. It does come from the 3D Lights Shadows. Glitch disappears when Shadows get disabled.

AECC2019_3DLightShadowGlitch_01.JPG

AECC2019_3DLightShadowGlitch_02.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply, I thought I was going crazy. That looks like what I am seeing.

My comp is 8 bits per channel. I noticed that when I changed it to 32 bpc the glitch changed to a white color. What color space is your project in?

It's almost like noise the way it moves when I render a preview.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes looks like a glitch/noise cluster in my project (32bit - sRGB). And you are right, they turn black in 8 bit.

Here is the "cluster" at 400%

AECC2019_3DLightShadowGlitch_03.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 16, 2018 Nov 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been working with one of their engineers and it looks like they are working on it. Here is what he said...

Thanks for the project file. The problem is with high Shadow Diffusion value using the Classic 3D renderer, on Windows only. I also saw the crash a few times working with it.

I was able to repro the noise yesterday with just one shadow caster. In your project file the problem gets magnified by the 4 casters in the same Z plane. If you separate the text layers in Z, the problem is reduced.

Using the CINEMA 4D can be a workaround, but it doesn’t support Motion Blur and the Shadow Diffusion value needs to be adjusted for your specific setup to match the original.

We will have the problem fixed in an update, in the near future.

@Ziad Saad, can you confirm that you are also using Windows?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 11, 2018 Dec 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This bug was fixed in the December 2018 release of After Effects CC (version 16.0.1). You can install this release via the Creative Cloud desktop application.

A list of bugs fixed in After Effects 16.0.1 can be found here: https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/kb/fixed-issues.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2019 Feb 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm still getting these shadow glitches in 16.0.1.

Screen Shot 2019-02-01 at 17.09.13.pngScreen Shot 2019-02-01 at 17.10.37.png

getting lots of glitches like this:Screen Shot 2019-02-01 at 17.11.51.png

that is just a 3d grey shape layer with a 3d layer infront of it.

also getting a lot of banding in the shadows despite having a 4000 resolution map:

Screen Shot 2019-02-01 at 17.11.58.png

Anyone else still experiencing these issues in 16.0.1?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ollie1695​, I asked one of our engineers to look at your screenshots. They believe that you're encountering a different bug than what is described in the previous posts in this thread (noise in the shadows) and fixed in After Effects 16.0.1. The bug you appear to be encountering (moire pattern in the shadow) can happen when the layers are very close together, and is not new to After Effects 16.0 or 16.0.1. (You should see similar results in older versions of After Effects with the same comp.) The workaround is to separate the layers further in Z space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tim,

Thank you for your help so far,

Yes the moire is with layers that are close together, however i've only tried to do that to fix the glitching that is happening.

I have attached the project file so your team can look at it: https://we.tl/t-81v9KV4NGZ

Here is another example of the glitching happening. Sometime it is flickering like in this gif: WeTransfer

and sometime it appears far more digital (forgive the red!):

Screen Shot 2019-01-31 at 11.41.58.png

Weirdly on this project I've also experienced an issue with alphas, when i've tried to preview (or export) a video where the
"accept shadows" button is set to 'only', it is appearing both in the viewer and render as an opaque solid.

All help is greatly appreciated!

Ollie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2020 Apr 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Tim,

Just FYI, the error stems from AE struggling to compute the comp even on very powerful workstations. I was able to get around this glitch issue on recent projects with some project optimization. 

At the level i was pushing AE, even speading the layers in z-space did not solve the glitches.

Best,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2019 Jun 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am still having this problem and i have the latest version, i reduced the diffusion in the 2 lights i have and the problem got fixed, but now what will i do when i need more diffusion?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 14, 2018 Dec 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the late reply, just saw it. Seems it has been fixed. Yes im on win10.

So thank you Adobe/Tim/flickfinity!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2019 Jan 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, this might be unrelated, but I cannot render with any drop shadow activated. It freezes the render after some time and creates a corrupt file with my rendered video up until the crashing point, then black.

Windows 10:64

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines