Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Turning a countdown clock into a .MOGRT

Explorer ,
Apr 01, 2020 Apr 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've successfully made a countdown timer using various slider controls and source text.

Screenshot 2020-04-01 16.34.58.png

I am now trying to create a mogrt file that can adjust the time variable placed on the input so that I can re-use the template for different amounts of seconds. 

Does anyone have any insight on the expressions or controls needed to achieve this? I'm new to this and am running into a wall! 

Thanks! 

TOPICS
Expressions

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Valorous Hero , Apr 10, 2020 Apr 10, 2020

Ah. Sorry, I forgot about that.

Paste this Expression into Trim Path's End prop -

s=thisComp.layer("1").effect("Slider Control")(1);
linear(s,s.valueAtTime(inPoint),s.valueAtTime(outPoint),0,100)

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to adjust the start value in a MOGRT, you'll want to animate with expressions (linear, ease, etc), not keyframes, and set the start value with your slider. A setup like this will work:

res = linear(time, 0, 1, effect("Slider Control")("Slider"), 0);
Math.floor(res);

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 10, 2020 Apr 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand animating with expressions and not keyframes but I'm having a little trouble following since the trim path is tied to the count-down number.  I tried putting your source txt in and it resulted in an error..

I wish there was an 'upwork' for Adobe After Effects, I've spent about 4 days trying to make a circle countdown timer 🙃

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't see the whole expression and you have not explained what the slider does but you should be able to add any of the controls that are available to the MOGRT  and have them accessible in Premiere Pro. The only thing you should have to do there would be to set the slider and adjust the out point of the MOGRT layer. 

A little more detail about how this comp works and a look at the Essential Graphics Panel would help us point you in the right direction. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right now I have a countdown 'number-timer' keyframed to a 'trim-path' for the circle countdown.

Screenshot 2020-04-10 10.44.33.pngScreenshot 2020-04-10 10.44.45.png

Right now to adjust the settings I have to manually set the time based on keyframes and the number '10' set in the slider, which is attached to the trim path. Like Justin mentioned I am needing help animating this via expressions and not keyframes but I am unsure how to best do this without resulting in error so that I can make these values adjustable by Mogrt.  The Countdown timer I'm working with is the circle countdown timer provided here: https://blog.motionisland.com/after-effects-counter-templates-projects/#.XpCRCy-z3F0 

Ideally, I'd like to be able to create a mogrt that sets:

- trim path stroke

- countdown in seconds/duration

-font

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Remove the keyframes from the Slider Control. Then, paste this Expression into the Slider Control -

StartValue=effect("Slider Control")(1);
linear(time,inPoint,outPoint-1*thisComp.frameDuration,StartValue,0)

HTH

Motion Graphics Brand Guidelines & Motion Graphics Responsive Design Toolkits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That worked! How would I make it so the line trim path aspect of the timer is congruent with the seconds? Would I do the same?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah. Sorry, I forgot about that.

Paste this Expression into Trim Path's End prop -

s=thisComp.layer("1").effect("Slider Control")(1);
linear(s,s.valueAtTime(inPoint),s.valueAtTime(outPoint),0,100)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One last thing if you will - Right now when I adjust the slider control for a different amount than '30' the slider either slow's down or speeds up until completion. My goal is to get the duration of the timer to fluctuate depending on whichever input of seconds I put, e.g., 15 or 10. Do you have a recommended expression to get this right? thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Both Expressions I've provided use the Linear Interpolation Method but you're now describing motion that isn't linear. So, it looks like you've either added stuff into the mix which I'm unaware of. If you can post a download link to your AEP someone may come along to see what's amiss. If this isn't an option, then post more screeb grabs of the Timeline - and a video screen recording will of course be useful too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines