• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Audition's lack of MIDI Instruments is wildly short sighted and inexcusable.

Community Beginner ,
Sep 29, 2023 Sep 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me explain;

MIDI instruments/pads/synthesizers are absolutely imperative to audio production. it is not a feature that a producer or musician can do without, it's not something that can be overlooked. A quick Google search on "Adobe Audition MIDI Instrument Support" reveals posts across forums whether it be Reddit, Adobe, or some other random production group forum that instruct users how to rig up a number of different work arounds to use MIDI Instruments in Audition. You'll also find a number of people who have switched to another DAW as a byproduct. 

Excluding the functionality is nonsensical, the reasons that I've read primarily on this forum are as follows:
1) "Audition is not nor does it claim to be a music 'production' or 'creation' software, it's instead an 'audio editor'" - Okay? Except, no. Whether intended or not, Adobe sets the expectation of Audition being a full functioning DAW. The product isn't named "Mastering" or "Audio SFx", it's called "Audition", which provides a mental visual of Audio Production software. Also, the product supports Audio Interfaces, has recording functionality, has send/side chain functionality, it has the functionality that is found in virtually every DAW excluding one of the most important things; Midi.

2) "Audition is going down the path of integration with Premier"

And? Is that to suggest that Movies/Video media has no need of sound effects/music? I have a Library of over 4,000 cinematic themed MIDI Instruments/Pads/Synths that I would love to use to add sound effects to my videos; Integration with Premier furthers the need for MIDI, not reduces.

3) A lot of people don't want it; Or it's niche

Reference Google search above; Thousands of videos wouldn't exist if it were niche. Not to mention, there so many Adobe users of Lightroom/Photoshop that play an instrument and would love to record but don't know where to start in the mainstream world of products like Abelton, FL Studio, etc. but would likely be willing to try working with a product line they're familiar with. All in all, the people who don't want it lose nothing by having the functionality addad. The people who want it would gain everything. 

I would use Audition hands down if MIDI were available. The interface, the integration with other Adobe products like Premier, etc. make it a perfect tool; Excluding it's lack of MIDI. So for now, it's back to Abelton/cancelling my Adobe subscription.

Idea No status
TOPICS
Effects , User experience and interface

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
3 Comments
Community Expert ,
Sep 29, 2023 Sep 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If there was any reasonable demand from the people who actually count - these being the purchasers of seats running into the millions, then something might have happened about it before now. But it is a sad truth that many of the people whom you claim would want it actually don't when it comes to, for instance, providing bespoke music for productions. Their argument is simple; if the Adobe CC suite contains software for doing everything for a production, then why would they bother employing outside composers (ie, them) any more?

If you added together all of the supposed thousands of home users who want MIDI together, the number wouldn't even get close to one major user's seat count. Accordingly it's the major users who call the shots, because they are the ones regularly paying Adobe's wages bill, not a fickle bunch of individuals. Adobe corporate controls what gets developed, and it's based directly on big-user feedback.

BTW, this isn't guesswork.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 21, 2023 Oct 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

100% agree, I got into adobe subscription because of the combined need of editing video and music. So basically you need to buy another program to actually add midi instruments. This is like 50% of a audio software. Even freeware has been able to do this. Is there any reason why they can't add this? Is there an integrated virtual piano in audition, or even offered by Adobe to replace this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Oct 22, 2023 Oct 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

See answer in the other thread you mentioned this in - it will give a little more perspective.

Votes

Translate

Translate