• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Splitting up an audio file at all markers would be very handy

Community Beginner ,
May 13, 2024 May 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

been diving into editing with audition, and being able to just straight up split a file into individual files from marker to marker would be nice. currently, unless i am missing something,  you have to set markers and then define regions by dragging something to the next marker etc. a simple split at all markers would be much faster. maybe i am missing something? just an idea.

Idea No status
TOPICS
Waveform editor

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
5 Comments
Community Expert ,
May 13, 2024 May 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A marker defines a point in a file - useful when editing. That doesn't give enough meaningful information to do what you desire. Let's take the limiting case: If you put one marker in a file and said you wanted to split it like that, would you export what was before or after that point?

What gets rid of this anomaly is putting two markers in to define exactly what you want, and turning that into a range.

No you don't have to drag anything anywhere - if you just enter your marker points in sucession with one at the start, and one at the end of the file, you can highlight the lot in the marker list and use the 'create ranges' button at the top to do the lot in one go. When they are all ranges, you can even give the ranges names, and these can be used as the file names when you export.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 14, 2024 May 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i finally figured it out. once you select all the markers you placed, you select them all and then what you actually do is right click on them and hit merge selected markers and it makes the regions.

you would think it would be the create ranges button like steve said, but for some reason that one stays greyed out when you select them all but the make ranges options does what i want. it makes regions from marker to marker.

maybe they should rename that stuff a bit? seems close, but not quite there.

thanks for everyones help so far. this should help speed up my process. all i have to do is drop markers, do what is mentioned above, sort by start to make sure they are in the right order and export with the proper numbering scheme.

thanks all

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
May 14, 2024 May 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I did that from memory, which sometimes plays tricks.- it is indeed 'Merge Selected Markers, and I agree; it could be better named.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 17, 2024 May 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Splitting an audio file at markers would be a huge time-saver in Audition. Currently, the process of setting markers and manually creating regions is quite tedious. Implementing a feature to automatically split at all markers would streamline workflow significantly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2024 May 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

so you can do this kind of richard. its not exactly obvious. go through and put markers where you want. then, select all the markers on the marker list (alt 8 brings it up) and then right click and hit merge selected markers. this makes regions from marker to marker. make sure and remember to put a marker at the very beginning and the very end. i myself made that mistake. then, you have to select them all again and in the marker section (alt 8) you click the icon above the markers labeled export audio of selected range markers to separate files. then it will ask you where you want em and you are good.

no clue how anyone would figure this out with a prompt that says merge. that should be better labeled.

Votes

Translate

Translate