• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Importing Files- "There was an error parsing the file"

New Here ,
Nov 06, 2019 Nov 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to import a 64GB Hoodman Steel SD card with about 2400 wedding images on it from my Sony A7III camera on my MAC (Not updated to Catalina OS). I CANNOT lose these images, as it's the whole getting ready and first look segment, so I'm freaking out a bit! The recovery program that I used was only able to recover 1365 out of the 2400 or so, so I desperately need to fix these files so I can get as many usable files as I can out of it. 

Files had to be recovered due to error, once recovered, I tried to convert the files from ARW files to DNG so that Lightroom can read them, as it isn't updated to read the Sony RAW files yet. I've tried to convert the files a few times, but I keep getting "There was an error parsing the file" as the status. 

I'm happy to hop into Terminal to apply codes to attempt to repair the files, but I can only find instructions and help for Android and Windows devices. Does anybody have any recommendations on techniques to repair this error? 

Any help is much appreciated! 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it not possible to launch the Image Capture app and get photos from camera card on to the desktop or a named folder?

Then use Import >> Add

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're very likely hosed unfortunately. It sounds like you have extensive file corruption. It might be possible to do some repairs using exiftool (a commandline tool that runs on Mac OS X) if you know what is psecifically corrupted. I would also look at the filesizes of the recovered arw files. Do they make sense? Lastly, a very much last ditch thing is to use exiftool to extract the jpeg previews from the raw files. Those might still be intact. Here are instructions on how to do that: https://ninedegreesbelow.com/photography/exiftool-commands.html#extract 

or here:

http://u88.n24.queensu.ca/exiftool/forum/index.php?topic=5017.0

Exiftool can be downloaded from here: https://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/ or you can compile it from source. 

If you post an example raw file here through a cloud service link (icloud drive, dropbox, or something elese like that) there are many people here who mught be able to figure out how corrupted they are and whether anything is salvagable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Try copying the files using the Finder, and try Image Capture with the card in the camera. Also, have you tried opening the files with Sony's software or Capture One?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines