• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: (MS App Store Version) Message: Some photos were not added. Unable to copy file.

Community Beginner ,
Jul 13, 2021 Jul 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I've recently subscribed to Lightroom and am being met with this error message upon trying to import any images.

'Some photos were not added. Unable to copy file.'

I've seen 2 other posts on here of the same issue but the solutions posted there didn't work.

I'm using windows 10, imported the files from my SD card to my hard drive. I am then trying to import to lightroom from my hard drive.

Thanks in advance

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Aug 17, 2022 Aug 17, 2022

Greetings, 

Updates for Adobe Photography products began rolling out Tuesday night, August 16th,  The updates contain a fix for this issue. 

If you do not see the update in your Creative Cloud Application, you can refresh it by hitting [Ctrl/Cmd]+[Alt/Opt]+[ R ].

Note: It may take up to 24 hours for your update to be available in your Creative Cloud app.

Thank you for your patience. 

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Nov 05, 2021 Nov 05, 2021

If you are seeing this error and had downloaded Lightroom from the Microsoft Store, please try installing Lightroom from https://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-lightroom.html instead. 

For others, I wonder if you could be running low on disk space? We should be giving proper messaging if so, but that's the current theory I'm trying to run down. You can tell Lightroom to take up less space locally by going to Edit > Preferences > Local Storage and reducing the "photo cache size"LocalStorage.png

I'd appreciat

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 203 Replies 203
202 Comments
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2021 Oct 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cannot add photos, and running into the same messages as others in this thread. I am on Windows 10, Version 20H2, OS Build 19042.1165, my computer is a Dell Inspiron 7573. LAst successful photos added to lightroom in August 2021. Running Lightroom 4.3 WAS x64 [ 20210526-1005-d4527c2 ] (May 26 2021), NGL Version: 1.25.0.7

Exact Steps to Reproduce:

1: start lightroom

2: click file > add photos

3: select photos from SD card or HD (error encountered using both ways)

4: review for import > add photos

5: it will occasionally import a few, but most show up with the error : unable to copy file

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Oct 09, 2021 Oct 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had more issues on my laptop; I was also running into issues with multiple programming tools I use. I did not have the same issues on my desktop; I eventually tracked the problem to a silent error caused by McAfee's real time anti-cirus scanner. I had no issues with Norton or AVG.

Tim

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 11, 2021 Oct 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a photography business and am unable to import my photos! I have the SD card in my windows computer trying to import raw images. 

24BE182E-C1C9-4A74-B40A-3301B69E59BB.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 11, 2021 Oct 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Join the club.  Thousands of us complaining and showing the exact same error message...  The has been going on since August for me and has put me in such a bind.  I virtually cannot edit any photos and there seems to be no rush on a fix from Adobe.  There are multiple threads already started if you would like to search some of those for answers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Oct 12, 2021 Oct 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are a few threads on this issue. A few things in no specific order.

• Adobe has not been abe to replicate the issue. If you search the forum, you will see there are multiple threads on the issue.
  • I found the latest McAfee anti-virus casued this issue for me on my laptop. Switched to Norton, issue went away. (I was not having issues on my desktop, and started to have problems in other applications).
  • A number of people have found you can upload images via the web interface, and then they sync with the client just fine.

Tim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Oct 13, 2021 Oct 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings,

As we continue our investigation we need to find out a couple of more items:

1.  Did you purchase from Adobe or the Microsoft Store?
  2.  If you look for this folder (normally hidden) C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Adobe\Lightroom CC  Is the folder present?
Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Oct 13, 2021 Oct 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Direct. Yes, that folder is present. (It is the one of the ones I delete when I broke sync bby deleting images and making local meta-data changes before it finished syncing).

Tim

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 17, 2021 Oct 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem as well.  It is very frustrating.  I couldn't find a fix on the website either.  If I don't have Photoshop how else can I save the image as a jpeg?  I looked and my file type for output from my camera is jpeg.  So maybe I don't need to change the file.  I use this program for hobby photos so I have limited knowledge when it comes to editing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR Error.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure you are actually using Lightroom (the cloud version) and not an older Lightroom Classic version? The dialog looks like a dialog for an older classic version. Anyway if this is the cloud version, the dialog indicates an inability to copy the files which means the destination disk (where Lightroom Cloudy temporarily stores files) is full or you don't have correct permissions there. So look for problems like that first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 18, 2021 Oct 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Adobe Photoshop Lightroom version 4.4 from the Microsoft store on my windows tablet to edit some photos I took using my Canon rebel camera but when I try to import photos to the app that I have saved to the tablet from the cameras SD card some won't import giving me a message saying "some photos were not added" "unable to copy file (19)" does anyone know a solution? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Show us a screen capture the entire error dialog box. Use the "Insert Photos" icon to include a screen capture in your reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I attached a photo of the message it gives me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 21, 2021 Oct 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NO, FOLDER NOT FOUND

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 23, 2021 Oct 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey. Been having this issue for a couple weeks. Usually I'm able to add folders with hundreds of pictures at the same time into lightroom. But now I can't add more than about 6 images at a time before the program says "some photos were not added" and then "unable to copy file(number)". There is nothing wrong with the images, as I can add them into lightroom 6 at a time, but it takes forever and won't always even add 1 of them before it says it wasnt added, and then I have to try again and just be lucky. I've tried a lot of things, like updating everything, exiting and opening a hundred times, as well as powering off and on everything, tried importing from different places, SD cards, local pc storage, phone album, an external storagedrive, with different types of images too, like jpg, nef and dng... Nothing seems to make a difference to this issue... This makes importing soo slow, and I can't even get work done. Please help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 25, 2021 Oct 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While trying to import photos from my desktop, the app only allows a few photos. I am not trying to import more than 40 photos. Can anyone tell me how to fix this? 

Thanks in advanced!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you receive any error messages when the import ends?

Please also confirm the current Lightroom version number (do Help>System Info).

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I am being met with the same error message. I have tried various ways of importing, both from the SD device, as well as my PC's hard drive (running windows 10). I have also tried importing all 57 images at once, 10 at a time, 5 at a time, down to one by one. One by one, no photos get imported. 5 or 10 at a time, same result. When trying all 57, each time it would change, but it would add anywhere from 5-7 photos at random, say it was "unable to add" and "unable to copy" anywhere from 20-29 photos, leaving a varying amount of 20+ photos with no mention. Nothing has changed on my end, I have been using the same camera for years, newer and updated SD drivers/readers within the last year, same PC, same file format, etc. This is very frustrating as I have not found any solutions anywhere online.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ESharp95_0-1635287321843.png

Yes, this is the error message. It is Version  4.4 WAS x64

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Can you post a screenshot of the Lightroom Preferences>Local Storage tab?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ESharp95_0-1635292250236.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have more than the one drive on your PC?

Although the amount of free space on your C drive should be enough, it's still a lot lower than I would feel comfortable with on my system drive. Where are the images that you are importing to Lightroom currently stored, i.e. camera memory card or are they already on a hard drive, and if the latter is that the same C drive?

When Lightroom imports images, no matter what the source, they are first copied to the location specified on the Preferences>Local Storage tab, which in your case is still set to the default location, i.e. in the AppData/Local directory on the C drive, and it's from that location that they are uploaded to the cloud. Once copied, and if the source was the same hard drive, you now have two copies of the same data on the same drive. Once uploaded to the cloud, the original source copy is ignored by Lightroom, they are left for the user to deal with as required. The Lightroom copy becomes eligible for deletion by the app, but that deletion is governed by some apparently complex rules which means it's often the case that they stay on the hard drive for a long time (months maybe).

Now I would have thought that the amount of free space on the C drive is enough to handle the additional data created by the Lightroom import, though that may be the problem. So if you have another drive available, it might be worth switching the location for stored originals to that secondary drive to see if that fixes the import problem (create a folder on the second drive, then select that folder by clicking on the "Browse" button next to the currently specified location on the Preferences tab). Note that the main local Lightroom library remains on the C drive (that can't be changed), so it would only be the location of the originals that can be moved to another drive. If you make that change, you should find that Lightroom will automatically move any existing stored originals from the C drive to the new location. Wait for that to finish before trying the import again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings all,

I notice we have several people posting on this thread but no one has hit the vote button at the top. That vote ports directly to our bug system and keeps the engineers apprised of current numbers. Take a moment and hit the vote button if you are affected. Thanks!

Next. If you are/were experiencing the issue, can you confirm you are still seeing it after updating to version 5.0 released yesterday?

Again, thanks!

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exact same issue. 

On Windows 10.
When I click on "Add Photos" then select the photos to add from the folder explorer all of the thumbnails appear to load. Once all of the thumbnails are select, from there I hit "Add # Photos". Lightroom will add about 5 photos then say "Some photos were not added". I know it's not the photos because if I close and reopen Lightroom sometimes it'll add more photos. It seems very intermittent. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also dealing with this issue.  Trying to import batches of 10-50 photos at a time and only 1-6 will be added.  The rest receive the cannot be added error.

Votes

Translate

Translate